Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can my ea82 go fast / safe highway speeds

(the subtitle "safe highway speeds" in the title pertains to engine rpm, not what one's opinion on what speeds are considered safe to travel. This thread isn't about driving habits or opinions on that matter, it is about information regarding gear ratios and engine reliability, maintainance, and engine speed sustainability)

Over the years it's come to my attention on many occasions that a lot of people are put off by the (relatively) archaic gearing ea82 body cars have. I can't tell you how many posts I've seen on here of people questioning the high RPMS their car is turning at highway speeds (especially those with the 3 speed automatic transmission)

I wanted to make this thread to document certain things I know through my own personal experience to be true, as well as to qualm any fears some people may have in regards to their vehicle and its ability to "Keep up with traffic" on today's highways.

I've been driving ea82 vehicles for about 10 years now, and in those 10 years I've driven a good variety of their different formats:

A 93 3 speed FWD SPFI Loyale I drove around for a good 6 years or so, both on the highway and in city driving. I took it to Canada and back from New Jersey

An 87 dual range 4WD 5 speed carby GL I drove around for 3 years, both on the highway and in city driving. I drove that car across the country four times.

An 86 push button 4WD 3 speed MPFI turbo GL-10 that is a current project I have that I have driven on the highway a few times and around town every now and then

a 93 5 speed FWD SPFI Loyale that is currently my daily driver. I drive this car on the highway a-LOT, and around town a-LOT. In fact I drive this car....a-LOT. I've put 16,xxx on it over the past 10 months and 700+ miles on it just this past weekend.

I am also an automotive mechanic and I am the sole person who has maintained each and every one of the above cars while they were owned by me. The key component to driving any of these old subarus around so much is to have confidence in them, and, knowing that I am the person responsible for their upkeep, that confidence is something I have never lacked, and I drive my cars accordingly.

That being said;

Regarding the 3 speed automatic cars, yes, you can do 70 mph in it. It's not going to explode. At least not unless it was going to for some reason or another anyway.

I recommend that you stay on top of your oil changes (I use mobil 1 conventional 10/30 or 10/40 oil + filters year round in all my vehicles), and that you are confident in the condition of your timing belts and components. The issue here is that at 70 mph you're going to be running that lil ea82 at about 4,100 RPM. Now that's no big deal to the short stroke boxer motor itself (these engines are used in airplanes where they run high RPM for hours), but it's your alternator, your waterpump, and your timing belts and their pulleys and idlers that may complain here.

If you just picked up a 92 Loyale with 38,000 miles on it that means it has slept a lot in it's 25 year existence. The bearings in that original alternator aren't going to like being subjected to you running the motor at 4,000 rpm for long. Neither is that super dried out and old timing belt.

This goes for any other car, but the 3 speeds especially because of how poorly they are geared for highway use.

So basically what I'm saying is that if you plan on using your 3 speed car on the highway, please make sure important components such as those I've mentioned are in good shape, and/or have spares at the ready.

Also make sure the transmission fluid is in decent condition and the differential oil is as well.

My real world experience with the 3 speed car on the highway is well over 10,000 miles. I drove that 3 speed loyale from NJ to Toronto doing 65-70 mph basically the whole way. It took a long time, but that was hours and hours and hours of sustained 4,000-ish rpms. And it'll get about 25 mpg at those speeds.

I've also peaked a 3 speed auto at 100 mph @ 6,400 rpms. Out of curiosity.

I've also driven a 3 speed auto car at speeds in excess of 75 mph for over 3 hours straight.

Moving on to the 5 speed dual range

2 things; It is awesome. Please check your gear oil.

I burned mine up because I drove it across the country twice without following my own advice.

That being said it had no problem running 65, 70, 75, 80, 85 mph but my god the thing was gutless climbing those mountains out there. 3rd gear with my foot to the floor barely maintaining 55.

This car taught me the lessons about low mile cars. I bought this 87 GL in 2012 and it only had 46,000 miles on it. I slapped plates on it, loaded it with people and stuff and took it from NJ to Nevada twice. The first trip I had 2 things happen; the water pump gave up the ghost as soon as my 5,000+ mile trip concluded and I was back in my hometown, and the 28 year old gear oil had (unbeknownst to me) turned to water and I fried the trans.

I took it across the country again with fresh gear oil a second time and had no trouble, other than noise. Risky, but it did it. I still have that trans, and it still worked when I pulled it, just made lots of noise.

I'm not even going to touch on the 3 speed push button in the turbo car because I don't drive it much. All I can say is that it seems to be geared differently than the FWD naturally aspirated car. 4,000 rpm is about 73 or so mph in it, whereas that would be 68-70mph in the FWD car.

Last, and most extensively researched but surely not least is the FWD 5 speed in my daily driver Loyale.

I have numbers due to recent curiosity:

(All numbers are while in 5th gear)

3,450 rpm - 78 MPH

3,600 rpm - 80 MPH

3,900 rpm - 86 MPH

4,200 rpm - 89 MPH

4,500 rpm - 95 MPH

4,900 rpm - 98 MPH

4,950 rpm - 100 MPH

5,100 rpm - 106 MPH

I find myself typically cruising at about 80-85 mph and my ea82 is humming along comfortably in the 3,600 - 3,900 rpm range. Right where the old 3 speed auto I used to drive would comfortably sit while I jostled along at 65 hahaha

I find this convenient because anytime I notice I'm around 4,000 rpm, I know I'm going a bit *too* fast. I honestly find myself looking at the tach more than the speedometer.

Once you get past that 4,500 rpm threshold though, two things happen:

You lose the ability to (relatively) easily maintain speed (You can hold 95 without having to have your foot to the floor the entire time) and,

you really start pushing the limits of your motor. I've run these engines at over 5,000 rpm for a couple hours and nothing catastrophic occurred, but I really would advise against anything over 4,500. Not to mention, there's no more power up there anyway. It all starts around 4,000 rpm and just rapidly drops off over 4,500.

So to recap;

4,000 rpm = OK

4,500 rpm = Still OK!

Over 4,500 rpm = Not smart.

Make sure your timing belts and pulleys are good

Maintain your vehicle

HAVE GOOD TIRES (don't go flying around on dry-rotted tires from 1996)

And every bit of information I shared in this post is entirely based on my personal experiences with various ea82 subaru vehicles over the course of the past decade. Your mileage very well may vary (And it probably will as the FSM shows a good bit of gearing variation through the 1985-1994 ea82 run).

5100%20106_zpszbpaugyw.jpg

Edited by l75eya
  • Like 1

I know I've got two completely different engines from the ea82. But my carbed ea81 4 spd sounds like it's going to fly apart at 70+, no idea what my rpm is because it's a dl with no tach. On the other hand my ea81t 5 spd has happily cruised at 85-90 to keep up with traffic and sounds so much more composed, you could hold a conversation at those speeds without having to talk abnormally loud.

Agreed.

The non-turbo 5 speed has excellent gearing. Cruising at 80ish, even on stock tires, is no problem.

The RX 5-speed that I had in my Loyale for many years wasn't so great. Even with the oversized tires (215/45r17, usually) and EJ22, it felt like I was pushing it at 75.

The 3AT that was originally in my Loyale (and for the many many years that it was my dad's Loyale) wasn't great. IIRC, we tried to keep it to 65 or below for cruising. We lost 3rd gear in the original trans in that thing, but we were pretty heavily loaded at the time (IIRC, parents, me, dog, clothes, tools, bed on the trailer behind, and 20ft extension ladder on the roof headed to the cabin).

And on that note, I should like to point out that the EA71 had a 92 x 62 bore and stroke. 62MM! Talk about a screamer!! I don't think that engine ever realized it's full potential. At the time, everything was just getting bigger, bigger, and it just kind of got washed over. I made my own adapter for a Holley/Weber off a Pinto (same as a modern Weber) for a 1600 back in 86, and that thing ran like a scalded dog! I was really after a big bellhousing 1600 to put a real transmission behind, and do some valvetrain work to get the R's way up there... then family came along... and EJ's...

Edited by Subaru Scott
  • Like 1

The EA81 has a 92 bore and a 67mm stroke,and I can personally attest to the fact that if spun up to 8500 RPM it sounds like it is about to scatter itself all over the road but it never did.I can also attest to fact that if you enter a mud hole at 8K+ and suck up the tiniest bit of water in the engine you will bend every pushrod in the engine.

The EA81 has a 92 bore and a 67mm stroke,and I can personally attest to the fact that if spun up to 8500 RPM it sounds like it is about to scatter itself all over the road but it never did.I can also attest to fact that if you enter a mud hole at 8K+ and suck up the tiniest bit of water in the engine you will bend every pushrod in the engine.

Didn't you drive it home after that?

I can personally attest to the fact that if spun up to 8500 RPM it sounds like it is about to scatter itself all over the road but it never did.I can also attest to fact that if you enter a mud hole at 8K+ and suck up the tiniest bit of water in the engine you will bend every pushrod in the engine.

hahahahahahaha.   that's awesome....now, i'm sure it wasn't at the time. 

This thread is ridiculous.

Posting a picture of presumably yourself doing 100 MPH as an argument for how "safe" you car is absurd.

I hope you get a big ticket and slow the F@&* down before you kill someone.

He's not advocating high speed driving, he's explaining that the EA82 series motors and trannies are good to go at highway speeds without destroying themselves. He just so happened to post the pic from the 5100RPM (106mph) run, so that folks didn't try to call BS on his statement. So, what I'm saying is, Relax Guy.

I guess I'm lucky. I'm running the D/R 5-Speed out of an 86 Loyale, but it's attached to an EJ22. I can run out over Snoqualmie Pass, Manastash and Umptanum Ridges, White Pass, and elsewhere and still get 65-70mph in 5th. Sadly the original monster is an 80DL, so I have no tach. I just run her by ear and speedo. Was cooking along at 65 in 4th last night and didn't realize it until I'd run about 3 miles. Didn't hurt her a bit, just annoying.

He's not advocating high speed driving, he's explaining that the EA82 series motors and trannies are good to go at highway speeds without destroying themselves. He just so happened to post the pic from the 5100RPM (106mph) run, so that folks didn't try to call BS on his statement. So, what I'm saying is, Relax Guy.

106 is far beyond safe highway speed.  He brags about routinely driving this way on the freeway, in traffic.  In a car designed for 55 mph highway speeds.  100% NOT SAFE.

Regardless of "why" or "what" he was trying to accomplish, what he did accomplish is to put himself, and everyone on the highway around him in danger.

Not cool.  

Possibly injuring or klling someone to prove a point on the internet is unacceptable to me.

Again, I hope he gets a big ticket or his license pulled before he kills someone.

106 is far beyond safe highway speed.  He brags about routinely driving this way on the freeway, in traffic.  In a car designed for 55 mph highway speeds.  100% NOT SAFE.

Regardless of "why" or "what" he was trying to accomplish, what he did accomplish is to put himself, and everyone on the highway around him in danger.

Not cool.  

Possibly injuring or klling someone to prove a point on the internet is unacceptable to me.

Again, I hope he gets a big ticket or his license pulled before he kills someone.

I get what you're saying, and thought 100mph was insanely fast for any public road. You hear of celebrities getting pulled doing 100+ and think "What an idiot." I did too. 

And then I did a stint living outside of Atlanta, using I20 to commute everyday. He is not exaggerating in that 90mph is just keeping up with traffic, and 100+ is not so much out of the realm of normal. I had never seen anything like it before, or since.

I'm sure there are other metropolitan places where traffic patterns and road engineering, coupled with an underfunded/ understaffed constabulary make ripe grounds for similar experiences. (Miami comes to mind.) 

Anyway, the my point was, all things are not as they appear at first blush. 

Dan

And then I did a stint living outside of Atlanta, using I20 to commute everyday. He is not exaggerating in that 90mph is just keeping up with traffic, and 100+ is not so much out of the realm of normal. I had never seen anything like it before, or since.

Justifying dumb behavior by pointing to others dumb behavior is not really an affirmative defense.

Justifying dumb behavior by pointing to others dumb behavior is not really an affirmative defense.

What you consider dumb in one area or instance is survival in another. 

If you have never lived, or possibly even seen such an area, your opinion of what is dumb or not dumb has no relevance. 

Dan

What you consider dumb in one area or instance is survival in another. 

If you have never lived, or possibly even seen such an area, your opinion of what is dumb or not dumb has no relevance. 

Dan

I lived in PA for many years.

Stupidity is the same round the world.

Hey man, don't have an aneurysm. Doing 100 on the interstate is far and away safer than doing 50 in a 30, in a residential neighborhood, which happens all the time, everywhere. And I'm sure you're guilty of. Or texting, talking on the phone, putting on makeup, eating a cheeseburger, or just being so Paxiled out, that they pull out onto a packed 4-lane during rush hour when there's no way everyone can stop. I mean really, how many accident scenes have you seen on the interstate, aside from bad weather, compared to the everyday carnage on city streets? And making claims like "100 percent unsafe", which means, literally, an accident HAS occurred, is kind of over the top. Don't you think?

I've been in Germany, on the Autobahn, where they travel in excess of twice that fast without incident. Of course, the big difference there is that most everyone drives by the rules, and moves over to the right lane unless they are passing. It's quite amazing!

Hey man, don't have an aneurysm. Doing 100 on the interstate is far and away safer than doing 50 in a 30, in a residential neighborhood, 

Again., pointing to others foolishness to justify your own (or his) is ridiculous.

German Autobahn and the cars on them are built for those speeds.  Drivers licenses are harder to get, requiring more knowledge.  Penalties for unsafe violations are higher.  As are insurance requirements.  And the speed is not unlimited everywhere.  Only the least congested areas outside of cities are "unlimited".

Very different from the Jersey Turnpike.

The OP's ea82 sedan was designed to be safe at 55.  Good bet the tires he's driving on are old and mismatched, and aren't rated for those speeds (really can't get good 13" tires anymore)  Plus when did he last change the struts?  Tierods, and balljoints?   106 in a stock EA82 is stupid.  Hell, SuberDaves got an awesome GL-10 with tons of suspension and engine upgrades, and he said it was nerve-racking trying to hold 110mph  ON A RACE TRACK!!!

Sorry, your not going to convince me that cavalier attitudes about DEADLY risk taking and bragging about it as safe is cool.  Plus I know this posters penchant for bragging about risks and disregarding others around him.

If he posted this video with his face or identification I would report him to his local authorities.  

This is a public forum for sharing information about subarus.  There are young people who may be driving for the first time.  I do not think it's responsible to advocate for ridiculous and very clearly NOT SAFE driving habits.  Can't believe actually no one else has said this either.  Don't any of the rest of you guys and gals have kids?  

106 in ANY car on a busy, US public highway is inexcusable.  He should and would get his license pulled if he got caught.  If he kills someone, he could be charged with NEGLIGENT HOMICIDE.

Edited by Gloyale

"(the subtitle "safe highway speeds" in the title pertains to engine rpm, not what one's opinion on what speeds are considered safe to travel. This thread isn't about driving habits or opinions on that matter, it is about information regarding gear ratios and engine reliability, maintainance, and engine speed sustainability)"

...now look what happened.

I'm sure the pic was only a simulation, done on jackstands with the wheels off.

"The OP's ea82 sedan was designed to be safe at 55"

So, are you saying here that the US imports got the "super spindly suspension" while the EA82s in the rest of the world got the setup to go faster? And that they were changed in 87, when the 55 limit got lifted?

I can see you're very passionate about this, but making ridiculous claims is damaging your credibility.

C'mon guys the jist of the original post is, yes the ea cars can maintain freeway speeds. How fast is safe? Depends on conditions, traffic, weather etc.

In Atlanta if you do the speed limit you are the unsafe one. You'd be creating a choke point.

Driving at speed is not an automatic ticket to spinning out of control, flipping 6 times and bursting into flames, taking a school bus of children with you.

Learn the difference between driving fast, and fast driving.

• Like 2

"(the subtitle "safe highway speeds" in the title pertains to engine rpm, not what one's opinion on what speeds are considered safe to travel. This thread isn't about driving habits or opinions on that matter, it is about information regarding gear ratios and engine reliability, maintainance, and engine speed sustainability)"

...now look what happened.

I'm sure the pic was only a simulation, done on jackstands with the wheels off.

"The OP's ea82 sedan was designed to be safe at 55"

So, are you saying here that the US imports got the "super spindly suspension" while the EA82s in the rest of the world got the setup to go faster? And that they were changed in 87, when the 55 limit got lifted?

I can see you're very passionate about this, but making ridiculous claims is damaging your credibility.

A wonderful thing called math allows for calculation of gearing/speed without risking lives

And as for my credibility. HA.  I've been on this board 15 years, driving Subarus and working on them for 20.  See my post count and ask around to anyone that's been on here for years.

Where is your credibility?  Mine is solid so kick rocks with that argument.

C'mon guys the jist of the original post is, yes the ea cars can maintain freeway speeds. How fast is safe? Depends on conditions, traffic, weather etc.

In Atlanta if you do the speed limit you are the unsafe one. You'd be creating a choke point.

Driving at speed is not an automatic ticket to spinning out of control, flipping 6 times and bursting into flames, taking a school bus of children with you.

Learn the difference between driving fast, and fast driving.

106 is nearly DOUBLE the speed the car was designed for.  (they weren't meant to go fast anywhere else either.) 

Be real, we are not talking about "keeping up" with traffic.  I've driven in big cities, east and west coast.  Not everyone is doing 106.  Not by a long shot.

75?  85?  maybe.  Assholes do 90 but you don't have to go as fast as them to be "safe".  That is laughable.

106mph is far beyond "normal" and NEVER safe on a shared highway.  The fact that he's doin it in an EA82 car is even less safe, as these cars were not meant to be driven that fast new, let alone after 30 years of wear.

Sorry guys.......argue with me all day.  If you tried to argue the same in front of a court you would be laughed at and sent to traffic school since you obviously didn't pay attention in highschool drivers ed.  This isn't a complicated topic.  The law, and comon sense are pretty clearly on my side here. 

Again., pointing to others foolishness to justify your own (or his) is ridiculous.

German Autobahn and the cars on them are built for those speeds.  Drivers licenses are harder to get, requiring more knowledge.  Penalties for unsafe violations are higher.  As are insurance requirements.  And the speed is not unlimited everywhere.  Only the least congested areas outside of cities are "unlimited".

Very different from the Jersey Turnpike.

The OP's ea82 sedan was designed to be safe at 55.  Good bet the tires he's driving on are old and mismatched, and aren't rated for those speeds (really can't get good 13" tires anymore)  Plus when did he last change the struts?  Tierods, and balljoints?   106 in a stock EA82 is stupid.  Hell, SuberDaves got an awesome GL-10 with tons of suspension and engine upgrades, and he said it was nerve-racking trying to hold 110mph  ON A RACE TRACK!!!

Sorry, your not going to convince me that cavalier attitudes about DEADLY risk taking and bragging about it as safe is cool.  Plus I know this posters penchant for bragging about risks and disregarding others around him.

If he posted this video with his face or identification I would report him to his local authorities.  

This is a public forum for sharing information about subarus.  There are young people who may be driving for the first time.  I do not think it's responsible to advocate for ridiculous and very clearly NOT SAFE driving habits.  Can't believe actually no one else has said this either.  Don't any of the rest of you guys and gals have kids?  

106 in ANY car on a busy, US public highway is inexcusable.  He should and would get his license pulled if he got caught.  If he kills someone, he could be charged with NEGLIGENT HOMICIDE.

Okay, so where should I start?

The tires are Sumitomo 175/70/13s that I installed myself about 7 months ago. The tires were manufactured in 2016. They have a speed index rating "S" indicating they are guaranteed safe up to speeds of 112 mph. I have never exceeded 112 mph on them.

They currently have roughly 12,000 miles on them and I rotated them four months ago when they had about 8,000 miles on them.

The balljoints were done last month. The inner and outer tie rods were replaced last year

The shock absorbers were replaced about 3 years ago and new coil springs were installed up front at the same time. The rear is still riding on the original springs.

The sway bar end links are good. The control arm bushings are good. The motor mounts were replaced about a year and a half ago.

The CV axles up front have been in the car for about 3 years. They came from the automatic loyale I mentioned in my post, and were installed in that car new about 5 years ago.

I re-balanced the tires when I rotated them.

Each lug nut is torqued to 75 ft/lbs with a Snap-On 1/2" torque wrench (that cost more than the car!)

Each tire is inflated to 35 PSI

Like I said elsewhere, I am a mechanic, I maintain my car, I know every nut and bolt on my car(s). I would never drive a car if it were unsafe at ANY speed (that it is capable of driving).

I'm not trying to impress anybody, I'm not trying to show off, I'm not trying to advocate dangerous behavior. If you don't feel confident and comfortable driving your car at fast speeds; dont' do it. Please. 

I have absolute confidence in every aspect of my 24 year old car because I have had it on my lift and I am the only person that works on it. 

You go ahead and judge whomever, however you want to judge and decry whatever actions you feel justified in doing so, you're absolutely free to do so.

I did *explicitly* state, however, that this thread was not to be taken as any type of indicator as to how somebody should drive on an interstate.

That being said though, I'm not sure when the last time you drove i-78 in NJ, but I happen to drive it regularly. 90 mph is the average speed, believe it or not. I've had dump-trucks flashing their lights at me in the MIDDLE lane (because no trucks in left lane) to get out of their way, and I've glanced at the speedo and I was doing 90. Let that sink in.

If you're going 55 mph you're asking to either cause an accident, or be in one. 

When traffic is congested, people are doing 70-75 mph and tailgating each other (while I hang 5 car lengths back because I'm not stupid) and zipping in and out of each lane trying to creep up in the jam. 

When traffic is light, people are doing 75-85 mph and that's typically where I'll be hanging out in the middle lane doing 80.

When traffic is practically non-existent everybody is doing 90+ and I've been passed while doing 90 by people that made me feel like I was standing still. 

You're simply not wrapping your head around just how fast people drive on the highway in my region. Is it legal? No. Is it unsafe? That's debatable (Speed has never killed anybody; becoming suddenly stationary is the killer). Do you have to condone it? No! 

If it just so happens to be your job to scold others and falsely presume certain conditions (Mismatched, old tires....), then congratulations, you've done just that.

I'm not trying to create waves here and I love and respect this community and all those involved in it because I've always admired just how well mannered most people on USMB are, but I will not remain idly silent while somebody is creating false scenarios pertaining to me. 

I'm surprised this thread hasn't become locked and I'm grateful, but I'll also completely understand should it be.

Respect and warm regards.

• Like 1

He brags about routinely driving this way on the freeway, in traffic.  

And that is completely false. I've never bragged, simply stated curiosities and facts, and I never *ever* drive at high speeds in dense traffic or in inclement weather.

13" tires may be cheap ($106 for 4!) but they are not very good at slowing down a vehicle travelling at a high rate of speed, or at maintaining that very tiny to begin with contact patch they have with the ground when the ground is wet. 

No thank you, I have too much life ahead of me and too little metal protecting me in that car to do something dangerous like that. 

Hitting 100 mph on an empty stretch of highway while doing a 220 mile drive late at night though? Yeah, I'll do that. Cruising at 90 on a sparsely populated interstate? Yeah. 

I think maybe you're just thinking that I'm hitting these speeds while surrounded by rush-hour traffic and whizzing past school buses and zipping in and out of all four lanes? Because that's not the case, I assure you.