Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can my ea82 go fast / safe highway speeds

"A wonderful thing called math allows for calculation of gearing/speed without risking lives

And as for my credibility. HA.  I've been on this board 15 years, driving Subarus and working on them for 20.  See my post count and ask around to anyone that's been on here for years.

Where is your credibility?  Mine is solid so kick rocks with that argument."

Post count means absolutely nothing. Just like a guy with a BIG FAT mouth can ramble on all day long about whatever's in his mind, whether he knows what he's talking about or not. Any cretin can get on a forum and start posting, that's quite obvious to everyone. 

Generously helping people with personal, hard earned, real world experience is what earns you credibility. Sticking to FACTS is key. Making ridiculous, false claims just to "win" an argument, only diminishes that credibility.

Over, and over with the, "EA82s were only designed to go 55," just makes me giggle every time I read that. 

But maybe I can't say for sure about that? I don't know... possibly a guy who had been factory trained on EA82 cars and worked for a dealership could maybe chime in here and...

Oh, wait a minute... I WAS!!

Funny, I don't recall any factory service bulletins, or any discussion at training school about ANY Subarus designed to only do 55 safely. Isn't that funny?

I've been working on, and driving Subarus since 1979... use your math skills on that.

Where's mine? It's the Subaru Certified Master Technician plaque on the wall of my garage.

• Like 1

Funny, I don't recall any factory service bulletins, or any discussion at training school about ANY Subarus designed to only do 55 safely. Isn't that funny?

some 85-87 XTs had a speed alarm in them that would beep at you if you went over 55.

That is one example.

But again, we aren't talking about 55, 65, or even 88 mph (Deloreon speed)   We are talking about this guy bragging about 106 as safe.....Which it is not.

So do whatever you want.  At this point you are defending this guys foolishness but merely exposing your own.

I will say again.  106mph on any shared road is excessive, illegal, imprudent and people die every day from cavalier attitudes like you are expressing here.

The original post said 106mph is MECHANICALLY safe. He made no claims about it being physically safe.

He has many times reiterated that he doesnt do th8s on a daily basis.

Why are we still arguing about this?

BTW the speed alarm on the xt is turned on/off by the master key, and is meant to keep people who borrow your car from abusing it....read the owners manual.

Edited by crazyhorse001

brakes stop tires and tires stop cars on all subarus i have had the brakes are less than desirable even at 55 the pedal goes almost to the floor even with all new  components it makes for longer stopping in panic mode. thats why i kept extra underware in the glove box. first you say it then you do it.

The original post said 106mph is MECHANICALLY safe. He made no claims about it being physically safe.

Among other speeds/rpms, yes. 106 being the highest and well...actually I really wouldn't recommend sustaining such a speed for very long. You're hovering a hair above 5,000 rpm at that point. In my opinion that's about the point where you're starting to make that motor scream.

Damnsubaru, I'd kindly recommend that you flush out your old brake fluid and fill the system with new. Brake fluid degrades over time and absorbs moisture leading to a spongy pedal and a lower boiling point. Also, even with new rotors and pads on the front, if your rear brakes are drum and the pad material on the shoes is very thin, you will have a lot of pedal travel, so check your back brakes as well.

And front wheel drive ea vehicles don't have automatic adjusters back there, you actually have to adjust them manually by turning the adjuster knob on the backing plate. Rear drums that are simply out of adjustment can lead to a low pedal as well.

Hope you can get them sorted though, my loyale was like that when i got it, that was one of the first things i fixed actually.

Edited by l75eya
  • Like 1

I'm waiting for some european member to chime in :P and wonder what all this stupid talk about 106 being so fast... There are a number of places in Europe, where despite the speed limit being 130 (km/h for those who can't figure it out), that if you're in the fast lane and not doing at least 160, then you will get others tooting at you to move over.

I dunno why US highways are so slow limited. Mostly you're on dual carriageways with limited entry/exits. Try coming down under where the majority of our national highway is single lane, undivided & with a 100 - 110km/h speed limit.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...