Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 Brat steering lock weirdness

So I'm working on a friends 85 brat and I was about to return it to him but now the steering column lock is messed up.It unlocks when the car is off and locks when its on.It first happened when I took the column apart because the ignition tumbler is so worn out that the little tab on the end came out of the electrical switch.I put everything back together and now it seems like the steering lock is in backwards or something.Normally I would just break the lock and remove all the pieces but this is a friends vehicle.So is there a way to recenter the steering lock?

As is the norm for when I work on vehicles and get paid for doing so something always goes wrong, but if I work on my own stuff it usually doesn't go as sideways.On this particular brat I changed the rear wheel bearings,replaced the pads/shoes all around, Wired in a relay for the starter,and fixed the rotted exhaust. But I messed up the driver side wheel bearing more than it was before so now it thumps/vibrates pretty good.Problem is I have been so busy with work that its been in my driveway for 4 weeks when it should have done in a couple days max.So I was gonna return it to him and have him take it to a shop to fix it then I was gonna reimburse him and now the steering locks up so I can't even get it out of my driveway,.

Unless I am misunderstanding you,I need to remove the steering wheel,the turn signals,drop the column,undo the bolts holding the cast aluminum piece to the column,take off cast aluminum piece, rotated innards 180*,then reassemble the whole thing?