Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Noob

I've been lurking for a little over a year, researching for what I'm calling my "dream car":  a lifted Outback.  I don't know much about Subaru cars or these kinds of lifts...all my friends are Jeep guys.  I've learned a lot in this forum so far (seems to be the best forum on the subject) and I hope to learn more in the next few months so I can proceed with my plans.  

I'm still looking.  I planned on a '97 or '98 Outback but now I'm extending my search up to about 2003.  I know there are some differences between the models but I've been finding some really nice 2000 through 2003 models that had decent mileage and were pretty clean for not a ton of money.  At the moment though I'm trying to figure out what it takes to get either maximum lift without having to drop driveline components (so about the most I can get without getting CVs in a bind) OR how much of a hassle it is going to be to put in sub frame spacers and drop the engine and all that goes with it (then mess with steering and all that jazz).

I'll probably peruse the forums a bit more then start asking more specific questions.  I'm definitely new to this and I don't mind spending the time or money to do it but I also have to justify it to my wife and I really don't want to go over budget (too much) on whatever I sell her on.  Otherwise I'll never get to chase a hobby again.  LOL.  

I too can understand the justifications for the wife. Welcome aboard, there should be plenty of info/expertise here for whatever project you want to undertake and probably any number of listings in the marketplace that would be a good deal. 

I built a little lifted legacy from using some forester struts, springs, strut tops etc on a 95 legacy wagon. The forester stuff gave it a nice lift and still able to keep the cv axles quiet after a little settle in time., Went from the stock legacy tires (185-70-14) to some 02 outback wheels/tires 225/60/16 with no rub and really nice handling. i was surprised how tight it was on the street too. The forester must be quite a bit heavier than an older legacy. So, if you find a legacy, pretty easy to lift that too. Photo of 85 lifted RX bought in beautiful southern MO. Now thats a liftrx.jpg

• 1 year later...

i also have done the Forester strut lift on a 95 Legacy wagon - on the stock 14s it nets very close to 2 inches of lift with no other work

add the 15" Forester tires and you can gain just a little bit more

the 1st pic below is of my stock 90 sitting next to the 95 with just the strut lift, sitting on the stock tires/wheels. Look at mirror positions to really see the difference - before the strut lift they were dead even at the mirrors.

2nd pic is with the forester wheels mounted.

90vs95lift.jpg

on car full.jpg