Ultimate Subaru Message Board

power steering hose connections.

My 2001 Forester that I'm doing a JDM EJ205 swap on. I have discovered that the EDM LHD EJ205 hoses that I needed are now NLA. So I'm going to have to take what's left of the cut JDM hoses, and a set of USDM hoses and have them merged at a hydraulic shop with new hose.. Are the hose ends the same for pressure and return? Gates makes a pressure hose that's $15 but a new set of OEM USDM lines is just under $300. I don't want to spend too much on something that is just going to get cut up.

So, the pump is different and the old one won't swap w/bracket? Don't you still have the old lines on your rack? I would start by finding a good hydraulic shop, that's definitely the way to go. They can take the metal ends, new or used, and crimp new hose on.

That's what I want to do. Have a great hydraulic shop local. I just don't want to use the rusty rack ends from my USDM lines. The JDM lines are still in place and in good condition, just cut off behind the hose near where the rack would be. So I need to have the 2 merged. USDM to JDM... Since the EJ205 is DOHC, the SOHC lines are too short..

As far as the pumps themselves, they are identical but the reservoirs have different part numbers and shapes from Turbocharged to N/A.. USDM WRX pumps are different entirely and will not work with the JDM intake manifold

Most hydraulic shops have everything to make an entirely new line. I had one go bad on an old dodge a while back and my local shop made everything except the fitting that threaded into the pump. The old fitting was OK, so he made a new steel line and put the old fitting on it before making the special flare on the end.

Edited by Fairtax4me

Are the hoses not the same as the USDM Legacy hoses 00-04? Or some other model maybe?

Subarus since 00-ish seem to have the banjo fitting at the pump on the pressure hose. Some are different orientation (top mount vs side mount) but I think they're all the same size.

Either way, take the hose with the proper fitting for your pump to the hydraulic shop and they can put that end on the new hose. Mixing and matching Hose ends is pretty common stuff.

'00-'04 Legacy looks close but it looks to have 2 hose sections on the pressure line with a short steel section between them, and then I'm still not sure the hose will reach around the DOHC EJ205..

I think  I'm going to see if they will use the JDM upper, and can make the lower part in house so I don't have to buy anything new just to get cut up.. I don't want anything that looks like it belongs on a plow truck visable, but the rack connections I don't care, they can be