Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello,

The Belt is on. All the gears lined up.

Question:

Will the Cam Gears and Crank Gear ever line up like it did when it was first set up?  

I have crank the belt through several cycles and I can't get the marks to all line up like they were when I first set them up.

post-66150-0-57743200-1497153904_thumb.jpg

post-66150-0-26746800-1497153940_thumb.jpg

post-66150-0-38860700-1497153977_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

post-66150-0-31375600-1497157418_thumb.jpg

If you mean the marks on the belt, they will only line up after umpteen revolutions--80 or 90?  Someone once posted it on here!

Man, that is one clean looking engine!  What year is it?

Yeap, just want to make sure I didn't do something wrong.

It is a 2006 with 99k on it.  Bunch a new stuff, previous owner let a non subaru shop work on it... they used impact wrench on tensioner that was failing (leaking fluid), bolt got a stress crack.. it broke on me after only owning the car for a month... 4 valves bent... no fun.

fyi, I have Bilstein B6 Struts and Shocks going on after I am done with the engine.

if you want a triple check before firing it up, find the tooth count for your engine. With the marks lined up as you are showing, count the teeth between the marks.

that's what I did on my wrx after pulling the tensioner pin, cranking-thru twice, but before starting.

I did the same you did.  See how Subaru say to count teeth.

post-66150-0-18285800-1497205982_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I thought the same thing on those shiney metal heads.

engine marks are only thing that matters. Belt marks are pointless. jury is still out on whether they solve more issues than they cause.

Or reinstall the belt, rotate engine a few times forwards then same number backwards for warm fuzzies.

Edited by grossgary
  • Like 1

I thought the same thing on those shiny metal heads.

engine marks are only thing that matters. Belt marks are pointless. jury is still out on whether they solve more issues than they cause.

Or reinstall the belt, rotate engine a few times forwards then same number backwards for warm fuzzies.

I have...NO Interference. Next, timing cover, rocker covers, spark plugs and then back into the car... 2 months this has been going on... 

• 8 months later...

Do not rotate the engine BACKWARDS!  Especially not if there is still an oil filter on the enigne.

Oil pumps are positive displacement, meaning they WILL pump oil, either direction.  So if you spin the enigne backwards, you risk destroying the check valve (i.e. flap) in the oil filter, and possible wrecking the bypass valve in the pump.  On the older EA engines it would seriously wreck the oil pump bypass by pulling the staked in retainer out of the casting.  EJ pumps are abetter design.  

But in general one should not rotate any engine backards if it has oil in the pump.