Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87.5 xt gl (spider intake) crank-no start

Okies gurus! My freshly headgasketed ea82 wont start. Have fuel, and 12v at the coil. Have compression as well. Timing is dead nuts on the 3 hash marks. Left cam up, right cam down. Rotate 360deg its 100% opposite.

It cranked once right after the install, and ran like crap. Now it wont fire. Fuel pump runs, and i smell gas when it cranks.

How do you check the coil diode?

Any other suggestions? Musta checked every connection a dozen times.

I'm going to say this just because I can't tell you how many times I've heard the belts are correct and the timing is on and it ended up being one or the other. Using an FSM, double/triple check you're belt installation and distributor install referencing cyl #1. Did you perform an actual compression test? If it is all correct, pull a spark plug, put the wire back on it, hold it to the head and have someone crank the engine while you look to see if you actually have spark. If it ran before the reseal, then you got the belts wrong, distributor in wrong, missed a ground or connector. It happens. None of us are perfect. I've got an 87.5 XT GL10 and the first time I did the belts, I screwed it up and I've got 20+ years in the field. lol Spark, fuel and air/compression. Miss any one of the three, no go. You could try some starting fluid if you have some.

Edited by skishop69
  • Like 2

Still not running. Redid timing according to the fsm, including the dizzy. It fired and ran well, for about 30sec. Then stumbled and died. Now i have no fire again. Sprayed carb cleaner in the intake just to rule out fuel 8ssues, still no dice. Rotate the engine to the hash marks and the timing is still right, so its not jumping. Checked the rotor screw while i had the dizzy in my hands.

Help!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, much more head banging against this one. Twice more i set timing according to the fsm, step by step by the numbers.

Here's where i am now:

Every once in awhile the car will start and run strong for 3-5 seconds then shut off

I have spark, it pulses off the coil wire while cranking. I have compression, 120psi give or take 8psi on all 4. I'm 98.5% sure i'm in time. I have fuel pressure. It sprays when i open the fuel line.

What i dont know is, do i have injector pulse? Is there a backyard way to check this with a good digital volt meter?

I'm probably 10hrs into troubleshooting this. I'm getting frustrated driving my big blue bus(02 astro conversion van)every day. I WANT MY SUBIE BACK! *WAAAAHHHH*

Try some starting fluid, not too much, you just need a little. Then you can confirm if it's a fuel problem or not. 

If it is, first place to look is under the passengers seat. The harness from the ECM runs right under there against the floor, where it lays in the moisture that leaks from the windows, the windshield, the cowling... 

Find the injector power wires, I believe they are yellow with a red tracer. There will be two crimp unions where the two wires from the ECM split into 4 to go to each injector. Those will be rotten.

• Like 1

Ok, much more head banging against this one. Twice more i set timing according to the fsm, step by step by the numbers.

Here's where i am now:

Every once in awhile the car will start and run strong for 3-5 seconds then shut off

I have spark, it pulses off the coil wire while cranking. I have compression, 120psi give or take 8psi on all 4. I'm 98.5% sure i'm in time. I have fuel pressure. It sprays when i open the fuel line.

What i dont know is, do i have injector pulse? Is there a backyard way to check this with a good digital volt meter?

I'm probably 10hrs into troubleshooting this. I'm getting frustrated driving my big blue bus(02 astro conversion van)every day. I WANT MY SUBIE BACK! *WAAAAHHHH*

test light.

Just probe the back side of the injector while cranking, you should see the light glow dimly and pulse with the time of the engine.

scotts tip about the corroded injector wires is a good one.  Common issue on XT

Do you have the fuel inlet and return swapped around?

That will act just as you describe.....

GD

thanks, gd.

I've had them both ways, even tho i marked them before i took them apart. I've been running dowm codes 13, 14, 15 according to the fsm procedures. I have a missing gnd to the dizzy. Its there at the ecu. i ran a jumper from the ecu to that wire at the dizzy, still no start, but i had the ground. Gonna pull the passenger seat this week to assess any damage to the harness. Hopefully it just jumps out at me.