Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 DL 1.8 valve cover gaskets

hey ya'll about to buy some gaskets for the DL and rock auto is giving me two options. just curious if anyone knows which shape I'm after for the 1.8 DL.  Also is there anywhere to buy those grommets that I will need for the bolts if they don't come with the gaskets?  Let me know what you're thinking.

The one with the grommets is supposedly for the 1.6 without is for 1.8.  thanks for the help.

post-65531-0-15420100-1497234946_thumb.png

post-65531-0-68009800-1497234930_thumb.png 

Seems as though the ones from the dealer are also a different shape than either of these....can anyone post a link to something they feel would work from the dealer???

Just trying to not get the wrong thing here and be out of a car when I take it apart until new gaskets arrive.

Alright thanks GD. The car is the Desert Fox some of y'all have probably seen it on here. Just picked it up from Jim Bo last week. I know he did an engine swap to an EA81 D/R that's what's giving me the hesitation. I'll call and do it today.

Roach auto? You mean Rock auto? Bad experience? I've had nothing but fantastic service from Rock.

Don't they also sponsor this site?

Actually this thread is about a different topic but, yes, I have had quite a bad experience with them.  They sent me a wrong part once, they sent me a wrong part the second time.

The distributor, they sent me with my third order, was for a wrong car as well.  I had to pay for return shipping just to get my money back.  I realize that I might have talked to a bad representative but the fact is that it cost me 10 bucks.  They probably did not realize that they lost more money by loosing me as a customer.

Regards,

Sam

• 1 year later...

Many newer dealers can't deal with older part numbers as they don't have old books to get part numbers from to even make a start in the order process.

The part might be available even exjapan type order but if dealer can't get part number you may be told no longer available.

This is where rocks data base can be handy to get genuine part numbers from.

Have a look now, see if you can get rcg part number and quick call to dealer parts and quote the number for price and availability. Don't mention rock! Usually find very helpful because you have done hard work to get number :)

• Like 1

I just took my old one's off and took them to an auto parts store (O'Reilly's) to make sure I got the exact replacements. Or, you could take yours off, lay them out flat, and photograph them, for matching up with RockAuto's pictures. 

• Like 1