Ultimate Subaru Message Board

NOS FF1 engines

I am looking for FF1 engines in very good shape, or even NOS.  I built a mid-engined single seater for a daily driver and for weekends at the local track.  I need a strong engine.  I have half a dozen in the back yard but they are all of unknown condition.  I really don't want to blow up the 1.1 liter that I'm currently using!  Thanks, Van Baehr

Pics or it doesn't exist...  :D

Seriously, you're looking for a real needle in the haystack there. Best bet would be to put an EA71 in. Much stronger and way more plentiful.

Or just have one of yours rebuilt, if you're really into the 1100. Good luck finding parts though.

Barely any 1300's around let alone an 1100.

I know of one 1100 in my state but it's not leaving the owner.

There have been several of us who have found lots of NOS over the last couple of decades. I know in our find we have some 1100 pieces , but I can't be sure there are main bearings , valves , pistons and rings etc.

I do have many of the shims for the cylinder liners and very little else. All that I have is buried at storage and I'm going thru it all as best as I can. So I'll keep you in mind since you may be the last guy running an 1100 of that era.

Best of luck.

Edited by moosens

• 1 month later...

Thank you, Guys, for considering my precarious situation.  I decided to look a bit deeper into my stash of engines and I see that I have 3 EA62's which are quite a bit sportier and higher revving.  Flushing them all with solvents and oil down the sparkplug holes and lots and lots of cranking managed to bring the compression readings up pretty well, even after I rinsed the oil off the rings with more solvent to avoid overly optimistic numbers.  So I may be in reasonable shape for future engines!

But I'd sure appreciated it if you kept me in mind as you unearth any engine parts for these old wet-sleeve engines.  And best of luck with your projects too, eh,

Regards, Van

Go 1300. Those are entirely special engines.

It is when they punched out that engine to make the 1400 EA63 that they realized they screwed up and removed too much material and left the new design fickle.

So personally , if I had space and time I'd tuck away the 1100 for kicks if parts show up - which they still may , but I'd run those 1300's.

Once was said by some scientist that the Subaru 1300 was the most efficient engine at the time.

Keep us posted please. Enjoy !

• Like 1