Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've probably gone Nuckin Fuddy. Going to get a street legal Kei Truck

I have had my 1996 F-150 on the road for a couple weeks and it has the typical old truck problems as well as chug gasoline ( 14 MPG ) so were going to part ways. Local dealer has these Kei trucks which fall under the 25 year exemption and he has the paperwork in the right order tho he sells as offroad only so he isn't subject to any of the legwork. Every one of the trucks he has sold is on the road and he will give me contact to provide testimony... I'm pretty much set on getting one.. Probably a 1991 Mitsubishi Minicab he has with power steering and a 5spd. They have the most comfortable seats and the 5spd is nice for the highway. I don't care about the PS but it's the only 5spd he has.. He has a 1992 Autozam ( Mazda brand but Suzuki Carry rebranded ) that is cleaner with lower miles, but the 4spd is a deal breaker almost.. I might take it for a spin just to see though.

Edited by matt167

His importer does not deal with Sambar's.. I checked. A Sambar is why I started looking but they are so expensive and hard to find in comparison.

My Subaru Forester will have a hitch when is all said and done, but 40+ MPG for my commute, I'm driving the truck

Grabbing the Autozam.. Have been told by people in the USA and Japan to stay away from the Mitsu. The Autozam has 12k and change KM on it and looks the part, drives even better. Little under 8,000 miles converted. It was a dock truck used for Shrimp. Has the fiberglass shrimp liner with it. May bedline it and keep it around for gravel but may sell as they are apparently valuable.

25 year old truck, but it's pretty much brand new. No rust at all

This one was a decent premium due to its condition at $5,500. I could have rolled the dice on an eBay vehicle for $1k less or rolled the dice on an import, having to deal with going to the port, filing paperwork ECT.. For a $2k savings. He wanted $4,900 for the others but they were trash in comparison.. 45 mpg with a 15 gal tank. the sad thing is, the vehicle probably cost $2-500 at the auction in Japan.

The thing looks brand new. Engine is even perfect looking... If it ever does start leaking. Its gonna stink up the cab though.

Edited by matt167

• 2 weeks later...

I'll update this. Truck I was going to get local turned out to be a 1996. Not legal to be in the USA. fudged paperwork or something was not right..  I ended up buying a truck from who I think is HIS supplier, ran the vin number to check it's age before purchase. came back as a 1992. Took a chance. $4,800 plus tax and delivery. It's not as nice but it's very much good enough for me. More of a dirtyish interior than anything. Needs cleaned up.. I did spring for a 5spd though, so it will run right to 100 KPH without an issue.

Just spent an hr at a DMV yesterday getting it registered. Now just DOT tires, possibly have to add a couple front parking lights and finally NYS inspection and then it's home free. The Shaken is still good on it, and the mileage that it was done was not that long ago so it should be in pretty good shape. I gotta go through it all yet but it does drive nice minus some squeaks