Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 GL Wagon (39K origina miles) suppension issues

I have a GL wagon with 39K original miles on it and I'm trying to get it running right. As you can imagine, it is a bit gummed up and just needs to be cleaned up a bit; looks new though. One of my issues is the suspension. I had a hard time finding struts for the car. The ones on it were the originals. I ended up finding some 'Gabriel' front struts that are soft and real nice. At the time I was searching I was able to find some KYB struts for the rear, but they are really hard and look like they set the rear up higher than it is supposed to be. I have had great experiences in the past with KYB in other vehicles, but they suck on this car. 

Scence I put those KYB struts on the rear, I have been able to find at least three different models of the Gabriel struts for the rear (haven't bought them though). All these types (different model numbers) say they fit my car. Why so many types for the same car from one company?

I have heard that you can easily put the wrong shocks/struts on that were meant for another model of Subaru if you are not careful and the ride can suck. Does anyone have some advice for this scenario?

Did you save the original ones?

The factory struts and shocks on all older Subarus were unbelievably robust and well made. They will usually last the life of the car. I've seen rear shocks on Ea81s that had the entire top shell rusted off, and still working great. I believe I've seen only a couple that actually had leaking seals, and were failing. We Americans have been so conditioned though, from cheap products, and heavy marketing, to "REPLACE! REPLACE, worn shocks and struts, DANGER, Will Robinson!!" That it's all to commonplace to see a car with under 100k, that has bad struts, because they were replaced with crappy aftermarket ones. My 83 GL still has the originals, but it's still a young 94k, so maybe not a great example. My daily, which has been loaded for bare countless times, pulling trailers weekly, for the last 16 years and 500k miles... still on the factory set. The ride is great, and you can jump on the bumpers and not even get 1/2 a bounce. The wife's SVX with 187k, originals. I can't speak for the quality of any of the aftermarket makers, because as far as I can remember, and I've owned dozens and dozens, I've never owned a Subaru that ever had any. Never replaced one, ever.

I have a garage kept, one-owner 84 GL with 50k on it and it looks brand new still. Have had a few issues with it from it sitting for so long.

Wheel bearings was the main thing, but suspension was the other area that needed to be addressed. I searched for quite a while for KYB front struts and replaced the rears as well. Also, new radius rod and control arm bushings help tremendously.

There are some front struts on clearance on RockAuto that are Monroe brand and are marked for use on wagons. I bought some bc they were cheap and to my surprise, they are Japanese manufactured and look exactly like the KYBs, just painted blue. I believe they must have just subcontracted them to make them for Monroe. I would try those.

I have a garage kept, one-owner 84 GL with 50k on it and it looks brand new still. Have had a few issues with it from it sitting for so long.

Wheel bearings was the main thing, but suspension was the other area that needed to be addressed. I searched for quite a while for KYB front struts and replaced the rears as well. Also, new radius rod and control arm bushings help tremendously.

There are some front struts on clearance on RockAuto that are Monroe brand and are marked for use on wagons. I bought some bc they were cheap and to my surprise, they are Japanese manufactured and look exactly like the KYBs, just painted blue. I believe they must have just subcontracted them to make them for Monroe. I would try those.

Where did you find a GL with 50K? Do you by any chance have carburetor issues?

Did you save the original ones?

The factory struts and shocks on all older Subarus were unbelievably robust and well made. They will usually last the life of the car. I've seen rear shocks on Ea81s that had the entire top shell rusted off, and still working great. I believe I've seen only a couple that actually had leaking seals, and were failing. We Americans have been so conditioned though, from cheap products, and heavy marketing, to "REPLACE! REPLACE, worn shocks and struts, DANGER, Will Robinson!!" That it's all to commonplace to see a car with under 100k, that has bad struts, because they were replaced with crappy aftermarket ones. My 83 GL still has the originals, but it's still a young 94k, so maybe not a great example. My daily, which has been loaded for bare countless times, pulling trailers weekly, for the last 16 years and 500k miles... still on the factory set. The ride is great, and you can jump on the bumpers and not even get 1/2 a bounce. The wife's SVX with 187k, originals. I can't speak for the quality of any of the aftermarket makers, because as far as I can remember, and I've owned dozens and dozens, I've never owned a Subaru that ever had any. Never replaced one, ever.

The factory Struts where completely worn out. While driving, it felt like I was driving on skate board wheels. I had to do something. Gabriel struts in the front and KYB in the back. I bought some other Gabriels for the back, but haven't put them on yet.