Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 XL GL10 Turbo / Owners Manual recommends Real Gasonline

• 1 month later...

So I finally got the XT into a Subaru Performance shop, and they said two things were causing the car to bog down and quit.

-The fuel pump was only putting out 4, and should be putting out 10 so they put in a new pump...... however car still did the same thing....

-They said I need a new MAF sensor for $350 + $100 installation

Apparently the MAF sensor gets hot, overheats, and that is causing the car to bog down and quit.

(Putting it in neutral, turning the key on/off resets it apparently, and I'm good for another 5-10 minutes.....)

Well got the fuel pump changed out, diagnosing fees, and an oil change that only costed me $544...dang... So we'll see in a while if the MAF sensor is the cause of the problem,.....

soon as I get another $450 together.....

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Chuck.

it'd sure be worth checking that fuel sock in the gas tank. I don't know if that model has an accessible fuel level sender mounted on the rear of the tank but if you could remove that and look inside the tank, you'd probably find it full of crud and that sock caked in white gunk. Sounds exactly the same problem as a couple of older subarus we rescued. Dirty fuel tank, clogged pickup in tank. 

@colemanapp  Wow, that's great advice.  I just talked to the shop, and they said mine doesn't have the fuel sock.  They said they checked the flow and it was good, but I'm guessing there still could be gunk in the bottom of the tank...