Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi Everyone!

Pictured here is my 1999 Legacy GT, Kitana. She has 215,000 miles on her and is in good shape overall. The problem is, the head gaskets are going out on the 2.5L engine. As I have found out, this is a common problem for this engine. I absolutely love this car, but cannot afford to pay to have the gaskets redone. It seems that my only option is to sell the car off to someone who would be able to fix it for themselves. My question is, how much should I ask for this car. I know it is worth more than junkyard price because of how good of shape the body and leather interior is. The tires are still all good on it as well. I am hoping that some of you fellow Subaru owners can give me some advice.

Thank you!

Steven

http://email.thislife.com/wf/click?upn=Uz1sPKbFWt3SxRE53R7lA4xbRraX0B5IWCTg7hwGmz-2B7S5SWiH9JfnXITqfrokkRCimx-2FO2oIzPyIuVauVkySCTYiTV5GQwMZskOmsC0IPwLDz0k5MsRocU3RATiAYkk23zBhuRou9mvhlKi66KlJw-3D-3D_mSmPH8rKtKnNviZeKAYpz8QkLcVQFq5X787yjESllq4sL6cFWLJYwRNvZUjk39VdKgZzZ6EJDgUuThfgO-2Ftu1YEzxRy8avtn0ZK-2BtErszcE777uzDSuao5TBqiG9k-2BZ-2BPGPPGJUbJtnlRCWXKGbI0fV-2FftMPDbtDAuEBAnjFnRj2e-2F3x9am-2Bmx719uq60Dt6O9yQDqeC-2F0DG55VjRXeOi-2FtxriS6VqK-2BGy8dKD0zZV9-2FHBECKq7KReY3eJoFAtctdt5CDZZQDNnsHII5XOywtQ-3D-3D

I buy a lot of cars somewhere between the junk yard price and the "craigslist" price because I point out to people that they indeed might get a little more - but you have to deal with people that buy sub-$1000 cars from the internet classifieds.... these may or may not be people you want to know where you live or even meet in person. Just depends on how close you are to a major metro area. Around here..... I generally avoid that potential interaction personally. 

Check local Subaru shops in your area. They might want it. Probably not but you never know. I don't buy anything older than 2000 unless it's a highly desirable like an Impreza coupe or OBS. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Buy a complete 2.2 engine from a 95 Automatic non-outback legacy.  The 95 model w/auto has EGR, and Dual port ex. so it's the one you want for a plug-n-play with no codes.

Re-seal it or just Install it directly into your car.

Done.

Other 2.2 engines can work also

90-94 legacy 2.2 with a changing over wiring from you're 2.5 manifold.

96-98 2.2 with the use of the single port exhaust.

Many if not most of those will not have EGR, so you will have codes for them but they will run great.

I would think you could get a rusted out early legacy w/ good engine and swap it over inexpensively.

Edited by Gloyale

I was thinking about trying to swap out the engine, but at the prices I was finding, it was just as expensive as just replacing the head gaskets. There are a couple "tuner" shops in my area, I may check with them and see if they would be interested. I wish I could sit on it for awhile, but unfortunately, it is my daily driver to work.