Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi All,

My 2014 Subaru Forester has been hesitating when cold and at low speeds and now hesitates, shakes and sounds like I am driving over a washboard under a variety of different conditions, especially at high speeds or when engine is under strain. I have read about this problem for other owners and am surprised I cannot find anything on this topic on this forum.

I need help! I have enjoyed this car up until now, but now I am really worried!

All comments and thoughts will be appreciated!

Rob

The lurching/jerking at cold start has been there since I bought the car 30,000 miles ago and seems to be getting worse. The hesitation when pushing the gas pedal down has gotten worse over the last week, but it is intermittent. The vibration and washboard sound and shaking at 60-75mph started during a 600 mile road trip over the past week. The washboard sound and shaking got much worse yesterday and it now seems to start at 55 - 60 mph and it is more violent and noisy. After taking the car out for a test run yesterday, the shaking and sound seems to be coming from the right side of the car, although I can't confirm it. The brakes were serviced 1.5 months ago with no apparent issue or problem. lugs are on solid. I am going to pull the wheel today and check things out. I saw someone posted about the control arm bearings (bushings, I presume) causing this on their car. My Forester only has 75,000 miles on it, and based on my other cars, that is really early for bearings/bushings to go out. I only drive city and highway. With the occasional dirt road. Thoughts?

When I first heard and felt the washboard sound, I tried a few things....I took my foot off the gas and maintained speed (i.e. downhill) and the vibration went away, leading me to believe that it was associated with the high speed and applying force to transmission....

Thanks for any insight into what the problem might be!

Rob

I think you may have 2 problems.

swap tires front to back. (they are all 4 the same brand/model/size right?)

check for oil on the sparkplug boots - maybe leaking valve cover gaskets? If the plugs are original, probably time for a change anyway - or close enough to do it with the inspection for oil.

scan for pending codes - they may help.

have you had a mechanic drive it? these are difficult for use to guess at over the net. Just encouraging checking a lot of stuff....

Thanks! I agree with the two problem assessment. New plugs and 50,000 mile tuneup at around 55,000, so 20,000 miles ago. The hesitation thing is mostly when cold. The vibration thing is at high speed. Taking wheel off now. Stay tuned.

Rob

Swapped wheels front to back. Same vibration issue at about 60mph. It seems to be coming from engine area or towards right side. The rubber bushings in control arm are worn and cracked, so maybe that is the issue, but they don't seem that bad and the play when rocking the tires (jacked up car) is nonexistant? Drive axles / CV joint?? I am going to get the codes read now, to see if that sheds any light.

• 2 weeks later...

The washboard sound MIGHT be coming from the driveshaft.  My 2011 forester with 100,000 miles has a bit of a shake at certain speeds. I pulled the driveshaft off and the u-joints are ALL stiff. This is because they press them in and deform the yokes to hold them in place,  thus putting too much pressure on the ends of the u-joints. I looked at a driveshaft at the junk yard and it had the same problem. Just a suggestion.