Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 dual range tranny problems

I just made a big road trip in my GL from Oregon to Georgia but the tranny ultimately died in NC. I first noticed issues as I was in 5th gear cruising and suddenly I noticed that the RPMs went really high but I was slowing down. It was as if I was in neutral, although I was clearly in the 5th gear position and the clutch was still needed to move it in and out. I down shifted into 4th and was able to get driving again. I pull over and see that the tranny oil is low, but I am in a pretty remote area of southern appalachia at this point and didn't have a place to buy more oil. Just trying to make it to the next town, but going over the mountains, the rest of the gears went pretty quick soon after, although with some really bad screaching sounds. I got towed the rest of the way to Asheville where I have some family. Now with more fluid in it, the shifter will go into all positions, but it is as if its in neutral at all times, although as before, the clutch is still needed to get in and out of each gear. I have already listed a post in the parts wanted for a new tranny, but is there anything I can do to revive the one I have? Any suggestions on my options to fix this transmission or leads on one I could buy when I'm back in oregon next week would be appreciated.

thanks

Thanks everyone for the input. Nice to see a general consensus here, a clutch is a much better problem to solve. I guess I wasn't suspecting the clutch because it was brand new and I hadn't been doing anything crazy. But my friend pointed out that if the clutch cable was too tight it could have been wearing the clutch down really fast just cruising down the road without me noticing that it was slipping. And I'll admit I didn't pay much attention to the clutch cable after installing it. I towed the car down from asheville to my new place in Georgia. I'll pull the motor in a few days and update the thread, but hopefully it is indeed the clutch as everyone is suggesting.