Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AWD Auto Trans FWD conversion.

entyceingvws

Hi All. 

I have done many many hours of research on this topic in many forums and online. I understand the fuse process and that is all the info I have found. There seems to be a lot of debate and confusion as to this being a viable option or not. I am open to this option if it is actually a good option. I know it can be done based on the following build link. They put an entire mid 2000's WRX drive train as a mid engine set up in a 72 bus and made the trans FWD only...

http://www.diversstreetrods.com/vw-bus--fabrication.html 

Anyone know how to do this? I am trying to contact them but not much luck so far.

Thanks

Tyce

Just remove the rear transfer hub discs.  Plug the rear output.  I think you want to leave the transfer hub in there though so the upper shaft can't walk rearward.  But if you remove the friction discs no rear output will spin.  Just plug the hole with the cutoff end of an old driveline, or anything else that is suitable.

Subaru 4eat has full mechanical (gears) engagement to the front diff at all times. 

Thanks. I am looking at my Auto options...I am considering the the 96-98 Outback 4.44 since that is the SVX go to swap with the EG33. Im building a Mid engine Vanagon. So Basically one the rear drive stuff is either removed or disengaged then the trans knows it will send all power to the front? I can find FWD only trans's but not sure how strong they are compared to later models?

I am also looking now at a  "EJ20H Twin Turbo" auto trans, any feedback as to strength comparison between this and the trans mentioned above?

Thanks 

the 4EAT trans is a stout piece, I wouldn't expect the FWD to be materially much, if any, different than the 4WD honestly.  In my head they're one big batch of transmissions with a cap on the end for FWD or a rear extension housing for 4WD.  the front diffs fail more than anything else and I don't think they're any different between FWD and 4WD.  I'd be fine getting a FWD trans, slap a cooler on there if needed and run it.

• Like 2