Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 swap into 85 GL wagon - What fuel pump do you use?

jelly man

Hi everyone.  I just started my 85 gl wagon with an ej22 swap that had been sitting around for years.  I had to replace a fuel pickup line from the tank to the pump.  The car was having problems driving and I traced it to fuel delivery and pressure.  I drained the gas tank and the gas was completely clear of any corrosion or rust.  It was old gas so I put in new gas.  I blew out all the lines and every line and filter is clear of obstruction and flows freely.  After testing a few things out I slapped a pressure gauge on it and the pressure would drop down from 30 to 25 then even 20 and the engine would have no power when you tried to accelerate.  I replaced the fuel pump with an ULTRA-POWER E8312 Electric Pump which is a substitute pump for a turbo EA82 engine and I figured I wouldn't have any problems.  Same problems.  After a few times of trying the old fuel pump and the new one and changing lines and filters the problem is still there.  Now the new fuel pump doesn't work at all.  What fuel pumps do you all use on your ej22 swaps?

I've used the standard SPFI EA82 pump a couple times. Once I found an inline one listed for a Ford Grand Squire wagon that was cheap that worked fine.

Really anything that's an inline style pump, supplies adequate pressure and volume for the EJ22 (which is relatively low for fuel injection), and has the right size fittings...

Getting adequate voltage at the pump? That can definitely cause low pressure, and some pumps don't hold up well.

Fuel pressure regulator? I've never put a gauge on a car with a failed regulator, but it can cause all kinds of weird running issues. Pull the vacuum line off it and see if there's gas in it.

• 2 months later...

Got this sorted yet?

Sounds odd but if you haven't added in a new larger fuel return line you'll get all sorts of odd things happening.

I ran a second carb fuel "in" line as my return.  Had to bend it up a bit to get it in but it's worked a treat for the best part of 10 years.  This mimics the standard MPFI size return line.  Don't use the carb fuel return line, it's very very small for an EFI return line!

Voltage would seem like your biggest problem - what is the fuel pump wired from?  I've used the factory EJ wiring to do the job ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Got this sorted yet?

Sounds odd but if you haven't added in a new larger fuel return line you'll get all sorts of odd things happening.

I ran a second carb fuel "in" line as my return.  Had to bend it up a bit to get it in but it's worked a treat for the best part of 10 years.  This mimics the standard MPFI size return line.  Don't use the carb fuel return line, it's very very small for an EFI return line!

Voltage would seem like your biggest problem - what is the fuel pump wired from?  I've used the factory EJ wiring to do the job ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Yeah I would source a tank from an FI ea82 car.  Prefferably an MPFI one like an XT or GL-10 turbo, but SPFI would work too.

However I don't think that's the issue here.

I've run an EJ22 in an 81 GL using the stock fuel supply line and the OE vent line as a return.  Used the OE tiny carb return line as the new vent.  works fine.

I suspect schmoutz in the tank, cloggin up the inlet screen on the FI pumps.

My problem was in assuming the small line was a vapor return and the large line was the fuel return.  I got that changed around but the pump is still noisy.  On swapping the vapor and fuel return lines the  fuel return line into the tank has a small inlet.  How did you get around that or did you just use the small inlet?  Already checked the tank and fuel suppjy lines and they're clean.  I really don't want to swap out the tank if I don't need to.

Swap the tank.

It will make your life easier.

But it shouldn't be your issue if you are losing fuel pressure.  If anything a limited return line will yeild HIGH pressures not too low.

Maybe you got a junk pump.  

I use a Walbro 255.  It is loud, but works great.

The fuel pressure has been fixed.  Since I burned out a new fuel pump (partly because of a partially kinked inlet hose) and the replacement is running noisy I'm thinking that the flow is restricted,  I'm just wondering if anyone just swapped out the fuel/vapor lines while still using the small inlet on the tank and if so how well it works.  I don't want to burn out another fuel pump, especially out in the middle of nowhere.