Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Horsepower gains on a Phase 2 Frankenmotor

The dome volume is from another site, but even aftermarket upgraded pistons range from -16 to -23 so its all I can go off of. 

The quench for the Cometic gasket is 0.030. I called them.

Why use 50cc combustion chamber? EJ22E single port P1 heads are only 41CC.

remember this is a EJ253 (NOT 25D) with phase 1 EJ22E single port heads.

Edited by iluvdrt

I'm trying to get you to reverse calculate the proper piston dish for the ej251/3, which has a 50cc combustion chamber. If you do that you'll see they have an 8cc piston dish. Plug that number into your calculations for the 22e heads and you'll get the correct compression ratio for your combo.

• Like 1

If I type in the bone stock numbers for a complete 253 using a +8 piston dome it says the compression is 7.49. I don't think that dome volume is right Bratman. EJ253 is 9.5-10:1 

If I use all stock data for a 253 with a -12 dome its 9.25 which is way more realistic. -16 piston (which is what replacement pistons are) is 9.7:1. and that is with stock 253 heads and 0.026 quench. That's pretty realistic as well.

Edited by iluvdrt

That's what I came up with as well with, it's definitely not a combination I'd recommend running on a stock ecu. If it weren't for this going into an ea81 chassis I'd recommend going to 25d heads because the compression bump isn't as drastic. But that opens up another bag of fitment issues with the timing covers and frame rails.

• Like 2

253 deck clearance is nowhere near 160 thou. You probably read that in metric, which would be .16mm, or .006"

160 thou would wreck the quench. 6 thou plus the gasket would be in the ballpark for quench. You're going to find the compression much too high as I said though.

The aftermarket pistons WILL NOT WORK as they are pin located for 257 rods. They will sit way over the deck with an NA rod length.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1

Well thanks for the help everyone. Looks like this is a total no go.

Ill put new gaskets on it and save it for my sons 05 impreza OBS.

Oh, checked when I got home and its a EJ251 but that doesn't make a difference. Still too high.

Edited by iluvdrt