Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yup -- we finally get some warm weather and my AC is out of commission!

I first noticed it when I was driving down the highway, hit the button, and it just kept pumping hot air.

At first I thought it just needed to be recharged, but when I got home, I parked the car, hit the button again, and it didn't sound like the compressor was kicking on.

I went back out on the road, hit the button, and didn't even get that brief "lag" that typically happens when you turn the AC on when traveling at low speed.

I checked the fuses and nothing was burned out, and there are four separate AC relays which I haven't touched. Is there an easy (and cheap) way to check and test this? I recently lost my job so I'd rather not spend big $$ (or any $$) to figure this out. I'd rather bring it to my mechanic having narrowed down the problem myself.

Thanks in advance to all responders.

• 2 weeks later...
Are the relays all the 30A Bosch-style?

Lothar, sorry for the delay in responding. The whole AC system appears to be OK, except for the condenser which is completely rusted out. It's going to cost me $279 for the unit, and about $150 in labor to install. Now I know I live in New England, and our roads are covered with salt 7 months a year, but to have a condenser unit rust out after 5 years just sucks!

My mechanic said he's never seen a Sube with an AC problem, but apparently there's a first time for everything!

Just an FYI, on many cars the compressor won't kick on if the refrigerant is low. This is to protect the compressor from running without oil. On our outback when the refrigerant was low the compressor wouldn't run, and as I added refrigerant the compressor came on once the system reached a certain pressure.

Just an FYI, on many cars the compressor won't kick on if the refrigerant is low. This is to protect the compressor from running without oil. On our outback when the refrigerant was low the compressor wouldn't run, and as I added refrigerant the compressor came on once the system reached a certain pressure.

Yup -- everything checked out. Mechanic charged refrigerant and the compressor kicked on, but it wouldn't hold pressure. Dye test revealed the leak to be at the condensor -- badly corroded.

Oh well, it will have to wait until I find a new job since I'm in no position to spend $500 to fix it. I'll just use "Four-fifty-five" - four windows open at 55 mph!