Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bringing the 82 BRAT Back To Life!

Hey All!!!! It's been too long since I've been around. That will change.

Last year, our 1983 BRAT didn't pass smog. It had also been kissed a couple of times while parked in the street. Really ticked me off. I didn't really have time, nor the motivation to mess with the car. And then, to top things off, someone who probably can't drive a stick broke in and tried to steal it. The would-be thief smashed the key assembly. The battery was dead too, so it was ll a wasted effort.

We were going to sell the car, but I've decided to put a bit of money into it and get it running again.

But I need parts.

I'm looking for the ignition barrel, and driver side tail light. I know that some old Datsuns share some of the same components of those older Subies.

Here's a pic of the car in better days. The squirrel is sold separately.

squirrelbrat.jpg

The housing on the wrecked tail is broken in places. I'll probably need the whole assembly. I'm posting a pic of the passenger side to make sure they match.

After doing exhausting research, and learning more about ignition key assemblies than I ever thought I'd learn, it looks like the insert is a C-16-110. They prefer the c-16-116, but looks like that one is discontinued. I have no idea what the difference is... yet. But this is the new bee under my bonnet. Gonna find out.... And maybe start a new career as a locksmith.

Pic of tail light is here.

Pretty sure I can match the PS one. Been a few since I've layed eyes on them, but the ones I have look familiar from memory.

Do my best to remember to get them out of their hiding spot tomorrow (after work) and snap a pic or two for you.