Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where to get a lift today in 2017

I just my first Brat. 1980, Ap71 so it has the 1600, and the round headlights. I want to lift it, but can not find any premade or used lifts. Of course I live in MO, so there isn't anything even close to a old running hardly rusted brat anywhere near me. I of course want mine lifted, I could build my own, maybe, or buy one. Need some help. Want to go with 6" of lift.

build it yourself.

If you ask me, six inches of lift is too much for that brat unless you are swapping engine and drivetrain.

With no lo range and the stock 1600, you are better off with maybe 2" lift and only a slight bump in tire size.  

Building I know

#1. strut tower uses schedule 49 4" pipe cut at 15° angle and offset 7mm/in inward.

#2 spacers use 2 x lift size (2,4,6") in either 3/16" or 1/4" steel with grade 8 note and bolts.

#3 taller shocks on the rear, or New plate. Longer shifter and steering rods.

What do you need for the vertical angular spacer in rear fender? I can see length (4,8,12) and width (2), but what would hight have to be?

build it yourself.

If you ask me, six inches of lift is too much for that brat unless you are swapping engine and drivetrain.

With no lo range and the stock 1600, you are better off with maybe 2" lift and only a slight bump in tire size.  

+1

You will be woefully disappointed with a 6" lift and bigger tires on an already under powered Gen 1 Brat. I've owned several Gen 1 Brats over the years and where they are fun, as pointed out, without the low range, they are next to useless for any kind of serious wheeling. G is right and I wouldn't do it either.

Got it, 2.5" on vertical spacer.

Hot looking for big power, just want the look, prob stay on road most times, but will definitely turn heads especially in mid mo where a brat is pretty much non-existent. Now anyone know where I can get a 6" used one for heap, $1000 pretty is sxpensive, couple hundred I could do.

Here I can get the 2x6 at $0.33/lb which isn't too much, then cut and weld. So cheap used would be great, even off another year, and make the different pices. Would especially like the strut pieces.

• 1 month later...

Still stuck on 6"? On road or off, that's way too much for the little 1600. Not trying to be a d!ck, but don't say we didn't warn you. IF you manage to get up to freeway speed (and even if you don't), you're going to be overworking the engine and stressing the CVs. Things will begin to fail in short order. When you ask the board a question and more than one person points out that it's a bad idea and gives reasons why, it's from experience not opinion. Generally, this is a time to rethink things using the wisdom of the board members.

A 2" lift with the right tire and wheel combo would give you the look with out killing your rig remeber the tires give you alot of lift on there own and with some creativity it will look like a monster a 2-3" lift + tires should be close to 6" of lift and wont destroy your body mounts a 6" lift + tires is for.people with big money and like to through it in to deep holes filled with stuff like mud people who dont mind breaking th3 rig in 2 and you would evetualy need to know how to weld and fabricate anyway so just find the napkin follow the instructions writen on it and call it a lift the 2" lifts are very easy to make and very cheap you can always go bigger later if its not enuff and you think your powertrain will handle it

Edited by ferp420