Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Noise in left rear hub - brakes?

Hi you wise people.

Another issue with by '84 Brumby (Brat.)

When using my brakes a load growling/scraping noise comes from the left-rear hub.

It sounds just like when the brake-shoes are worn down and its metal-to-metal on the drum. 

A mechanic took the drum off and said all is well and there's tons of brake-shoe material.

The noise only happens when the brakes are used and the rear brakes come into play, otherwise there's no noise at all.

Any ideas?

(And the mechanic said the bearing was good)

The shoes are scraping against the side of the drum. Replace the shoe hold-down springs and clean excessive rust off the inside face of the drum. Inspect the shoes very closely for uneven side-to-side wear and replace if they are uneven at all, even if they still have lots of lining left. 

Ironically i developed the same issue lol! Only mine is passenger rear drum.. for some reason I had a hard time putting it back together.. pretty sure my shoes weren't lining up real well.. can't wait to see if the release is going to work to take it back apart.. argh! Lol!

• 5 years later...