Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Please help! 92 loyale pulled motor to do head gaskets now not getting fuel

plug in the green diagnostic connectors.

this will make the fuel pump cycle on and off.  Or it should.

If you can hear the relay clicking, but the pump doesn't run.....start checking fuses, and maybe jumper a wire to teh fuel pump under the seat.

Oh and check the intake manifold grounds again.  All ECU function ground through the bolt on the intake.

I connected the test plugs last night and it was clicking, but the pump wasn't coming on.

I checked fuses all looked good.

I'll check the grounds when I get home.

Thanks I appreciate it.

There is a large black wire with a red stripe that I didn't know where it goes so I just hooked it to the bell housing thinking it was a ground but I'm not 100% on it

So don't give up.

There is a relay that controls the fuel pump under the driver side dash. you should hear or feel it click under ignition.

The hot wire runs to the pump and then it's chassis grounded.

Consider running a hot wire from say a tail light <no sparking allowed here> and see if it will spin.

Prove to yourself that the pump is functional by itself. 

2 people / While starting key ignition, Maybe tap it with a hammer to get it to spin. <if this works your pump is in the sunset of it's life anyway> replace it.

The pump needs fuel to cool itself so be careful if you remove it from the car and run it on 12v, but it's worth a test.

The thing is a jet turbine engine and is VERY sensitive to debris, dust, goop.

There is a fuse under the dash that drives it too.

Since you took the engine out - are you sure for SURE that all your grounds are well 'grounded'?  no rusty connections

12 volt at your battery?  

Someone mentioned fuel in the tank already... 

Make sure there are no pinched rubber hoses anywhere 

• Like 1

I'm home now tracing wires out. The black and red wire I was talking about goes to the negative batter terminal.

Where is it suppose to go after that?

Thanks!

Oh, you mean a really big wire.  That is the Negative cable to the engine.  It does indeed go to a tab, that is bolted thorugh the upper starter bolt.

I feel really dumb but I had the firing order wrong... it's running now! What is the timing procedure?

Thanks a ton for the help guys

How did the firing order being off solve the fuel issue?

Did you not have the distributor plugged in?  That would stop fuel from flowing during cranking, but still should have had an initial priming at key on.  What did you fix?

I don't know honestly.. I wasn't getting fuel even when I had both hoses disconnected from the throttle body and ran into a cup to make sure. I changed spark plug wires the the correct firing order and that also fixed my fuel issue. I don't understand how but it did.