Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a used driveshaft bought from the salvage yard that I put in 100000 miles ago and recently started feeling the vibration in the seat and floor and just a bit of steering wheel shake plus an audible cyclic noise. Car has new front brakes and rotors and a new lh front cv axle. I cant feel any slop in the ujoints but a bit of play in the center support. So it is off to the salvage yard again for another used driveshaft. I hope I get lucky again... I am also contemplating trying a new ujoint offered by an ebay vendor that says it comes with detailed instructions detailing the procedure for removing the staked in joint and installing theirs. Has anyone here ever done this? If so can you enlighten me? The original driveshaft from the car had a rear joint out so it would be the easiest one to do...

The problem with buying a 2nd hand / used drive shaft is that you could end up with the same problem.

Drive shafts with staked in  joints are rebuildable - most use rockford / duralast kits.

Haven't rebuilt staked in u jointed shaft  but have rebuilt  the  u - joints  on my Brat driveshaft which had  circlips  retaining the cups inside. Can't remember   what brand the kits were.

The inner edge of the cups were  grooved that the circlips clipped into,  which located / centrailsed the joints.  (probably similar to kits)

I used the right size socket with yoke  held  correctly in bench  vice  to tap out  old / tap in new cups.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/141870-u-joint-replacement-anyone/

There are  youtube demonstrations on how to rebuild staked in u- joints also.

Couldn't copy / paste this  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_kZmzA_Bso

The missing bit is "watch" and seems to bring up the link incorrectly

Edited by subnz

I bought a used shaft from the same yard where I got the last one. I inspected it and it appears to be perfect and at $105 a bargain (hopefully). If I get 100000 out of this one like I did the last one it is money well spent. 30 day warranty as well so we will see...

Further investigation revealed a broken transmission mount. Bought a new one and installed it and the car is smooth again. Just a hint of steering wheel shake at 65 MPH which could be the Michelins need a rebalance after 50K of use. Perfectly driveable as is.

• Like 2