Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What XT parts to steal for my Brat?

I currently have a Brat that eventually plan to do a EJ turbo conversion on. I potentially have the opportunity to obtain parts from a complete XT Turbo.

I know the rear suspension arms, hubs, calipers and discs are worth taking as I can convert to rear discs, but is there anything else worth taking from this car would would be useful?

Thanks.

If it has power steering will the rack fit the brat?

It will if you swap cross members and control arms which requires some modifications to do. If you go that route you can use 1st gen impreza/legacy awd front axles to mate up to a ej transmission and ej front knuckle assembles for when you do the 5 lug swap.

It will if you swap cross members and control arms which requires some modifications to do. If you go that route you can use 1st gen impreza/legacy awd front axles to mate up to a ej transmission and ej front knuckle assembles for when you do the 5 lug swap.

Imp axles will not fit an EA82 crossmember.  And if you were gonna go that route, just use 25 spline EA82 axles.

And he's talking turbo xt which is 4cyl so no 5-lug.

The EA82 crossmember can be fitted, but will be much wider than the EA81 wheel wells.

Imp axles will not fit an EA82 crossmember.  And if you were gonna go that route, just use 25 spline EA82 axles.

And he's talking turbo xt which is 4cyl so no 5-lug.

The EA82 crossmember can be fitted, but will be much wider than the EA81 wheel wells.

Impreza axles will fit a ea82 cross member otherwise there would be nobody with a 5 lugged swapped 3rd gen. He's going to need a 5 lug swap in order to have safe braking with a turbo ej engine which is why i said it. The factory ea brakes even with the disks on the back are just asking for trouble. With the ej knuckles you can swap in a new oem 4 pot brake kit that can be found for around $500. Unless he wants to make custom axles you have to widen the track on a ea81 car. It's about 3 inches wider with the setup so 1.5" per side which could be corrected with different offset wheels. I'm swapping out the rear torsion bar for a custom support tube to run rear struts on my 82 glf. This lets you use ea82t or xt6 rear trailing arms to have a rear sway bar and widen the rear track the same as the front. I'm going to run coil overs up front since they're about the only thing that fits in the strut tower and they help with camber adjustment. I've messed around with the ea81 axles and it took about 20 axles to get a set of shafts to put ej outer joints on. Any way he goes he needs to mod a ea cross member for the up pipe to fit even if it is a ea turbo cross member.

People who properly 5 lug swap use XT6 axles.  Impreza axles are too long and will bottom out.  People run them, but at great risk to longevity and safety.

Plus EJ balljoints don't fit the EA control arm without modification and blah blah all kinds of stuff to work around.  Can be done.  Not gonna happen in this case since this is a 4cyl 4 lug XT he's talking about getting parts from.  and I don't think they got XT6 in Scotland.

4 lug XT rear discs are excactly the same as the 5 lug rears, which again, he won't be getting.

I'm hearing alot of "i'm gonna" this and that in your post.  Let me know when you've actually done something then chime in on how things will or won't work.

It looks like I was too slow and missed out on the rear hubs, bugger. XTs are extremely rare in the U.K., I think it's the only one I've ever seen.

What's the alternative for a rear disc setup?

You can mount a ej backing plate on the back with some modification but you need xt6 rear hubs.

People who properly 5 lug swap use XT6 axles.  Impreza axles are too long and will bottom out.  People run them, but at great risk to longevity and safety.

Plus EJ balljoints don't fit the EA control arm without modification and blah blah all kinds of stuff to work around.  Can be done.  Not gonna happen in this case since this is a 4cyl 4 lug XT he's talking about getting parts from.  and I don't think they got XT6 in Scotland.

4 lug XT rear discs are excactly the same as the 5 lug rears, which again, he won't be getting.

I'm hearing alot of "i'm gonna" this and that in your post.  Let me know when you've actually done something then chime in on how things will or won't work.

First off I already know the difference between a xt and a xt6. Already have the support tube made and all the parts to put the suspension together 10 different ways. All the stuff your giving me spoob about can be corrected if you know how to weld, machine, and fabricate. If axles prove to be a issue I will rwd swap it using a brz or Supra transmission with a Dana 44. But I doubt it. The axles I've measured compressed have been the same between ea82 and 1st gen ej's. The differences people could be having is aftermarket axles vs factory. I'll add to the 5 lug swap write up if I ever get the car done. I'm rebuilding a closed deck ej22t for mine and am shooting for 250hp with ECL tuning.

You can mount a ej backing plate on the back with some modification but you need xt6 rear hubs.

First off I already know the difference between a xt and a xt6. Already have the support tube made and all the parts to put the suspension together 10 different ways. All the stuff your giving me spoob about can be corrected if you know how to weld, machine, and fabricate. If axles prove to be a issue I will rwd swap it using a brz or Supra transmission with a Dana 44. But I doubt it. The axles I've measured compressed have been the same between ea82 and 1st gen ej's. The differences people could be having is aftermarket axles vs factory. I'll add to the 5 lug swap write up if I ever get the car done. I'm rebuilding a closed deck ej22t for mine and am shooting for 250hp with ECL tuning.

Yes anything is possible with enough fabrication.  I truly do hope you come up with some setup YOU are happy with.

But your comments about 5 lug swap and and Impreza Knuckles/axles for this persons post are not applicable for the parts car he was enquiring about.