Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Windshield Glue or Seal ?

okay... I can not find a rubber seal for the '83 wagon.     Can anyone tell me if I can just glue it in ... like the new cars these days.

I'm not looking for style points ... just need to replace the old busted windshield and have the new windshield to not leak. 

Please help if any experience with windshields

Not really.  there is no lip for the windsheild to sit against.  You'd need glass about 1" bigger around in every dimension.

You could maybe try to carefully remove the old seal, tearing/cutting along one spot only near the bottom if need be, and then glue the new windshield into the old seal and glue it back toghether.

Might try Aussie distributors......rumor they are still making them and shippng for that small/light of an item would not be too much.

No windshield installer would touch that. Too much liability. The windshield is an integral part of the cabin in an accident and they can be held liable in court for improper installation resulting in a crash injury. Most will refuse to use any old parts (other than trim) or install it in any way other than factory recommendation. They have deals where they buy all their supplies through a specific supplier and that supplier guarantees them representation in court should there be any question about improper installation. Reputable glass guys take it very seriously - a single lawsuit could put them on the street. 

Likely the only way forward is going to be finding a NOS gasket on ebay, or going to a yard and smashing out a windshield to get the gasket out in one piece. Still going to have a problem finding someone to install it using an old gasket. They crack, rip, and generally are completely non-pliable and useless after 30 years. Basically a complete $hit show no matter how you approach it. 

AUS is an option possible. I bought a rear diff for my trans am from AUS. You just have to get in touch with someone there that can get what you need and is willing to ship it. Expect to pay as much as the gasket costs in shipping. My Torsen carrier was $300 and shipping was another $175. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Precision Replacement Parts may have them.

They made two batches for us with 70's Subarus.

Good luck. Seen them occasionally on eBay thru at least one seller who I think was rt66motors or something with rt66 in it.

But PRP stock will likely be more fresh than anyone else's.