Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The 04 WRX I'm working on, needs an engine. Got the heads off and found some bearing material up top. Pulled oil pan ( should have done that first ) and it's evident. Not bad, but bad enough that I know not to waste any more of my time ( I'm doing labor free to help a friend out )

JDM EJ205 long block at $949 shipped is about the cheapest drop in I can find, but I can find an EJ20Y for a little less than that. I know the 20Y/X is Dual AVCS and the cams need locked.. Can this be done? The HP figures for the engine are near EJ207 for much less coin... It almost seems too good to be true, so it probably is but still worth asking.

Yes, it is a chicks car, though she can out drive many people.

I've looked into VVT controllers. Greddy V manage will do it but at $400 it's cost prohibitive. And then I'm not sure the electronics will work with USDM EJ205. I think they are closer to USDM STI which would require machining as the same as EJ257 long block swaps require, for the EJ205 cam position sensor.

Edited by matt167

You'd basically be using just the longblock from the 20y to put it into a 16-bit car. You're on the right track thinking it would be like swapping a 257 in there. If I were doing the swap I'd go for the v5/v6 ej205 and be done with it. The 20y cams are very mild compared to 205, without the avcs systems and twin scroll turbo they're not worth it. If we were talking about a 4th gen legacy gt it would be a different story. They aren't that difficult to make function properly in those cars, even though the internet will tell you otherwise.

I think the $949 long blocks are early V7's, so they have single AVCS but can be run without as many of them do.. Might do a V5/6 though from a closer supplier though getting a good set of coils with a new engine would be good. Her coils are not so hot, and the jackwagon before busted one