Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea71 pieced together

Apparently this car has been on the forum for a while, issue- the voltage regilulator is getting extremely hot, no spark, and the battery has a consistent drain, there appears to be a cooked wire from the regulator to the battery, I'm assuming there should be a fusible link between the two but the po just has jumpers from batt to starter and such, kinda at a loss as I don't know what of this is necessary to the system. Here's some pictures

Sounds like there's a bunch of stuff that the previous owners installed that needs to come off. Try cleaning it up and putting it back to stock. Replace with a new fuse able link & check the fuse block inside the cab (driver side kick panel). Clean or replace the fuse block. 

Also, the head light circuit will most likely have a ton of resistance which will in turn overheat that fuse block. Go on ebay and find the plug and play head light relay, its something like 40-50 bucks and it will fix the head light circuit issue.

I wasn't able to find a wiring diagram for the coil in the search function, and since I didn't pull it I don't know how it goes back, it did run before the current owner replaced the battery, but they hooked it up backwards, and before I got there to troubleshoot they had torn into the coil and got a new one. Also this car has a switch for the fuel pump where the city country horn should be. Trying to get it back to where it was a week ago

I was gonna say after your first post, that it sounded like someone hooked the battery up backwards...

You're going to have a mess there. The ignition unit will be fried as well as the alternator and regulator most likely.

Easiest way out of this would be find a parts car somewhere to get a harness and components out of.

• Like 1

You will need another ignition setup at the very least to make it run. 

The distributor itself may be ok, but the ignition unit on the coil is toast.

Option 1: Find a replacement electronic ignition unit like the one you have, which is the first generation electronic.

2: Find a later model, 2nd generation electronic distributor, which is self-contained and doesn't have the box on the coil.

3: Find an older points distributor. Just be sure to get the matching coil with ballast resistor. 

That still doesn't explain why the voltage regulator us getting so hot, but I'm thinking since the fuel pump is switched on the dash I should be able to ditch the voltage regulator and do the maxima alt swap, swap the disty for an ea81, and then theoretically I shouldn't have any problems out of it right? Ior am I missing something that these components do besides the obvious

• 2 months later...

So I'm out here doing what Subaru Scott suggested and swapping out for a gen 2 disty, so if I'm deleting the box off the coil where do I connect this disty? Second, I just replaced the alt with one from my 2nd gen, what modifications do i need to make to delete the rest of the voltage regulator?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Got it running, found a beautiful write up for doing the alt and how to bypass the voltage box, then just hooked up the coil and fire! Since it has sprung a Leak in the heater core hose, to be fixed around turkey day

Could you please post a link to that write up?