Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Outback 02 atmo engine options

outback02

I've done EA82 into a brumby (big mistake) and all sorts of datsun engine swaps because they all more or less were easy to do.

My 02 outback is starting to drink oil and it misses.

I can't work out from Wikipedia if it is an EJ251 or EJ253.  Some websites say it has 116KW and some say 123KW.  Which one is it?

Can you easily swap in a series 4 EJ25? (the one with about 132kw)  I don't even know WTF the code is for them.  Or is that a bad idea?  I don't want a turbo because then I need an engineers certificate.  

Is there a JDM version better than the one we got in australia?

I don't want massive power, I've had my fun with a WRX with an STI V3 motor before.

Thanks for any direction I can get.

Rob

Look on the tag on the strut tower, that should have the complete engine code.

I'm not familiar with the "series 4" terminology. But I assume it's the VVT version of the SOHC EJ25. This would require retrofitting to the newer ECU to control that, which means you'd be doing more than a little wiring. Also, in the US anyway, most of those cars have an immobilizer, which makes that kind of project extremely difficult. I suspect a huge amount of work for very little benefit.

In the USA I think the engine tag will read EJ252 which is as best I can tell an EJ251 with a different intake manifold.. Most power you will make without going turbo

You could probably do an EJ204 and possibly get the active valve management working. But othwrwise, Aus got pretty much what JDM did until you get into the high end STI spec stuff which was JDM only for the most part.

You could use an EJ201/202/203 also if you didn't care about power

AFAIK, the EJ252 is California emissions only. I think I've only seen one.

I don't think there's any point in any of this if it's power you are after. Without the VVT, you're not going to get a noticeable change in power, and the VVT is not easy to add.

IMO, just rebuild yours, or get a direct replacement, and move on.