Ultimate Subaru Message Board

82 GL Hatchback Fuel Sending Unit, What and Wherefores?

Howdy Folks,

Background details: I have an 82 1.8 L, Hatchback AWD in great condition, no rust and with center constellation headlight.   Love this thing.

Problem:

My fuel gauge has been going all over the place for the last two years; floating high, low and empty.  Originally, I added some solvent to the gas and that worked for about a year, ( I presumed by cleaning off the varnish on the sending unit).   But recently the gauge isn't working except for the occasional magical floating needle effect.   So this weekend I took out the fuel sending unit from the rear of the gas tank.   I cleaned it up and checked the resistance on it.  There was only a minute reading difference in the high and low section.  Not nearly to the specs written in the book.     I cleaned it up with acetone, and although I have good continuity I can't get it to read on the fuel gauge at all anymore.  

My power to the Fuel Sending Unit reads 7.2 volts D.C. with the ignition on.     

I'm looking for suggestions on getting a new/used sending unit, or making one.  The difficulties I've had is that I can't find anything that fits in horizontally like the original.    Supposedly on ebay there is a sending unit that would fit, but it doesn't look anything like the original.   

I'm a newbie to this forum, so I apologize if this has been answered before, I've had difficulties navigating this forum. 

In the back of my mind, I keep thinking that the dash gauge is what's bad, but that doesn't make sense to me because after "Fixing" cleaning the old one I'm not getting any reading. Therefores

Thanks

Jamster