Ultimate Subaru Message Board

sloopy shift

I've used a different bushing there before, works if you get it set right. Make sure the bolt isn't boring out the hole at the ends (13). Also the small pin at 16 can get loose over time.

Basically, these transmissions tend to wear every hole they can a little bit. And it adds up to a lot of play.

Edited by charles_thomas

Just to clarify, from your description, the parts that are circled in that diagram are not what you are asking about, right?

the roll pin (#16) was a problem with my Brat for quite awhile. Years ago I saw a write-up on here where a guy someone used compression fitting ferrules on a bolt to tighten that up, but we couldn't find a size that fit well (either too small, or too big, so it fit tight in the outer part, but not tight to the inner shaft).

I drilled it out a bit, and put an EJ-style double-rollpin in it. But I think I drilled it a hair too big, as it fell out....

Just a couple weeks ago, I tapped threads all the way through both pieces, and ran a bolt through it (I don't remember what size, and since mine has already been drilled out once, it probably won't be the ideal size for other vehicles). That seems to have worked well.

Number 16 was the problem with my 87 Brat also. Seems like I remember splitting the the base horizontally about an inch or so past   where the pin went in. Using a SAE bolt, nut and locking washer compressing the collar on to the shaft. This was a popular shifter tightening procedure many years ago. I would guess I did my 87 well over ten years or more ago and it is still tight to this day. 

Thanks, a little more searching and I found the answer of taping and putting a 3/8 threaded bolt in it. Great forum for newer user.

That's exactly what I did on my 5Spd D/R, now it's solid! I also changed most of the shifter bushings while I had it all out. 

post-64473-0-22231300-1504796122_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainDub