Ultimate Subaru Message Board

six speed?

• 1 year later...

Using an adapter pate will technically bolt up, I used one to adapt a dual range to an ej22. It was pre made by sjrlift. A guy here has a six speed on his xt, but it's backing a twin turbo ls6 haha!

So if you or someone you know has fabrication skills, then you should be able to rig up whatever you want. Do some research on the gear ratios so you are sure that you have enough hp and torque to make it worth your while, or that it's even possible with existing rear diffs.

Or install with matching sti engine for easiest results, but be ready for axle wackiness, they can be mixed and matched to some extent though...research that as well :P

But i am feeling a slammed rx with one of those gm turbo v6 from the gnx, typhoon and cyclone backed by a t56 and posi for drifting or road racing.

People have installed ls engines and 2jz, but i digress.

Oh and one of the mods here that I personally met has a 2.5 in his brat, with entire legacy drivetrain, so if he wanted a six speed it would be a bolt on affair. That only requires custom crossmembers and driveshaft.

Cheers man

Edited by sparkyboy

17 hours ago, dfoyl said:

Any ideas on size of the 6-speed compared to the 5 speed box ? Would it fit an unlifted Brat or need hammering like the 4 speed auto ?

If you're going that far with the six speed, then what's another few yards with a custom trans tunnel? I like the way you think about beating it first though...:D

Unlifted brat? Six speed? Over the dual range? Come clean man this is for road racing huh? So she's gonna have a cage anyway...

On 1/15/2019 at 4:32 PM, sparkyboy said:

Using an adapter pate will technically bolt up, I used one to adapt a dual range to an ej22. It was pre made by sjrlift. A guy here has a six speed on his xt, but it's backing a twin turbo ls6 haha!

So if you or someone you know has fabrication skills, then you should be able to rig up whatever you want. Do some research on the gear ratios so you are sure that you have enough hp and torque to make it worth your while, or that it's even possible with existing rear diffs.

Or install with matching sti engine for easiest results, but be ready for axle wackiness, they can be mixed and matched to some extent though...research that as well :P

But i am feeling a slammed rx with one of those gm turbo v6 from the gnx, typhoon and cyclone backed by a t56 and posi for drifting or road racing.

People have installed ls engines and 2jz, but i digress.

Oh and one of the mods here that I personally met has a 2.5 in his brat, with entire legacy drivetrain, so if he wanted a six speed it would be a bolt on affair. That only requires custom crossmembers and driveshaft.

Cheers man

FYI, the adapter plate with work to fairly easily adapt an EJ engine to an EA transmission. It will not work the other way around. It could be done, but it would require a custom flywheel to take up the extra depth.

The 6MT is roughly the same size as the 4EAT transmission. In '87.5, the EA82 transmission tunnel got bigger to accommodate that. It will easily fit in the newer EA82s, it's been done in the early EA82s, but at the very least requires a spacer to lower the transmission in the tunnel (but that's not ideal for driveline angles).

It's been done in EA81s, but AFAIK only with tunnel modification.

Anything is possible with enough money and fabrication. But far from bolt-on. Also absolutely zero reason for it unless you've done the engine swap (no '80s engine can produce enough power to require the strength), and other driveline modifications.

Edited by Numbchux
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, carfreak85 said:

The EJ 5MT is more narrow than the EA 4EAT.  @SuberDave has a 6MT in his EA82 wagon, it's not exactly "bolt in," but it's as close as you can get considering the chassis and transmission were designed about three decades apart.

There ya go, i knew one of these crazy cats already had one in an L body :)