Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weird coolant leak.

I have a 1987 GL Coupe that I just picked up.  It is running 'ok', some hesitation and a little surging.  Did a basic tune up and oil and coolant (the shop had put in two quarts of oil too much and I drained it, some had dripped on the cat I think from the rear seal but stopped).  Been driving it for about 2 weeks to work it out and yesterday I checked the coolant and it was down a quart and the reservoir was empty.  I had put a can of conditioner in it after the change so I just filled it up and have taken about 4 trips around town to work and back and I'm getting a coolant smell every once in a while and just a wisp of steam from under the carb between the spare and the air cleaner.  There as a tiny pool pf coolant on top of the block, maybe 1 tablespoon.  It has a 1.8 OHC with 100k on it and otherwise seems ok.  What should I be checking?  Where might this be coming from? I've not seen this before in any of my EA-82's.  Any help is appreciated.

There is a coolant passage at the base of the carb or throtitle body. A leak can occur there. Also, the intake manifold gaskets can do this. Use only oem for those.

Watch the coolant level in both the radiator and the recovery tank like a hawk. You do not want to be low on coolant.

• 6 months later...

A little late but I wanted to thank you guys for the info.  It was a little hose down by the bottom of the carb.  Now it runs nice and the coolant level is stable.  A couple of follow up questions, I'm not looking for a race car, but would a 2 bbl carb (webber) improve drivability?  Better starts and smoother acceleration?  Also, what is the best way to tow this?  1987 GL coupe with push button awd 3 speed auto.  I will have to tow it from NY to AZ.  I'll probably tow it with a 97 Legacy outback so I can't use a full trailer.  Suggestions?

Trailer it unless it has brand new tires. If you use a tow dolly it needs the driveshaft removed. what parts of Arizona are you coming too? I'm in Northern az in Prescott. Do the Weber, it makes a world of difference in acceleration, power, and sounds lightly agressive.

I'm in Tucson, or will be in a few months when I retire.  The tow dolly sounds like a good compromise since I will be using the Legacy to tow it and don't want to overload the tranny.  I think I will try the carb switch since the drivetrain is in good shape.  Thanks!