Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1981 Hatch DL 4WD EJ22 Swap

Your going to need to get a different gas tank or figure out how your going to hook up a fuel return line to your current set up. These early ones didn't come with them and your going to need one for the ej swap. Your going to need a fuel injected pump off a loyale if your going for used parts. You could move the carb pump to the rear as a lift pump with a surge tank to feed the high pressure pump in the engine bay or just use a high pressure pump in the rear.

Edited by turbosubarubrat

It will leak within a year.

not menat to have a paper gasket don't use it.

Years of experience and hundreds of water pumps replaced are speaking here.

Skip the harbor freight and the pnuematic tool. Unless you have a monster compressor, you will be waiting for the tank to refill to keep RPMs. Buy a dremel branded end mill and a dremel to put it in if you don't have one.

slow, small passes taking just a mm or less at a time and you will be done with all 8 holes in an hour or 2 tops. Don't be agressive and try to use the entire side of the bit.....just the tip and shave off little arching passes progressively deeper, layer by layer. If you try to use the side of the bit against the hole like a grinder, you will struggle, and go through lots of bits.

I've done 3 or 4 flywheels now with the same endmill. It's harder on the tip bearing in the dremel than it is on the bits.

What size endmill? My compressor isn't too bad it's a 30 gal and keeps the speed up for the most part.

The metal water pump gasket is in don't worry lol. I've done alot of water pumps in my day too and can say I haven't had one leak yet. But this is my first Subaru.

Pressurewashed the bejesus out of the of the long block, busted out the timing belt, timing covers, test fitted the adapter plate and changed the rear main.

Just need to finish the flywheel, open up the crossmember holes, and get the rear block plates off to reseal them. Slap the flywheel and clutch assembly, drop the motor in then start wiring, get a fuel pump, and change fuel lines. Just a small list lol

d1JfrdqU_o.jpg

fxQ1RIL8_o.jpg

jW6qxgOA_o.jpg

Vjk7u7vG_o.jpg

qDFjwKcI_o.jpg

Edited by Andymccauley
  • Like 1

If you were local to pdx id say sure why not, come over, but I'm not shipping this dead weight anywhere.

I live in North Portland, I can cut them super precisely in about 20mins. I will only charge you 1 burrito or a six pack...

• Like 1

So this thing is pretty much ready now, I planned on dropping it in today but then realized I needed to reseal the oil separator plate and wrist pin access plate too and I forgot I needed to get a couple bits for impact driver to get them off... Searched and finally got some at Home Depot, they only had 2 luckily I got them both cuz 1 broke after the 6th screw.

But got all that sealed and tight now it's ready to drop in.

SbwnViRD_o.jpg

Edited by Andymccauley

Got the legacy throttle cable in today, need to make a spacer between the manifold and the cable bracket and it should be good, removed some material from the plastic mounting point so it would fit in the firewall. After I fab a a spacer it should work great.

Started removing the rest of the wiring, the taillight harness is hacked up with alot of wire nuts and other bs that needs repaired. Gunna pull the taillight harness farther out and repair it without pulling it all the way through the rear panel so I don't have to remove the panel, somehow push the legacy harness through the same route and splice those together.

Looks good Andy. The EA81 throttle cable will not work? Let me know what alternator belt you use. I ordered my timing belt kit and a whole lot of gaskets, seals sparkplugs for when I pull mine. I am thinking mid Nov. since my wife claimed the spare bathroom remodeling would be first, lol! My 93 legacy is a drivable car so I have been putting a few miles on it. 

I've been wondering about the fuel lines on this thing before I even pulled the EA out and I found a post last night about how the older EA81 cars varied in the fuel supply and return lines. Some only had 2 some had 3 lines. But the return is tiny, almost like the vacuum and return are the same size, I gotta follow lines and double check to make sure I even have 3.

That's the part number I needed. Thanks!! I got two boxes from Rock Auto today myself. Probably be around the end of November before I start my swap. Going to do pretty much like you have. Clean it up real good when I get the 2.2l out. Ordered new seals for cams and crank, front main is leaking on my engine. Also new oil pan and valve cover gaskets. Have a Aisin timing belt kit coming in another box. R9/30 fuel line, clamps for FI and tune up stuff. My donor car is only showing 146k so I am hoping it is good to go. Been driving it back and forth to work. Almost hate to gut it, it drives pretty good. Has a far amount of rust, the Legacy, not my Brat! Following yours and hoping you have very little trouble. Thanks for posting and updating!

That's the part number I needed. Thanks!! I got two boxes from Rock Auto today myself. Probably be around the end of November before I start my swap. Going to do pretty much like you have. Clean it up real good when I get the 2.2l out. Ordered new seals for cams and crank, front main is leaking on my engine. Also new oil pan and valve cover gaskets. Have a Aisin timing belt kit coming in another box. R9/30 fuel line, clamps for FI and tune up stuff. My donor car is only showing 146k so I am hoping it is good to go. Been driving it back and forth to work. Almost hate to gut it, it drives pretty good. Has a far amount of rust, the Legacy, not my Brat! Following yours and hoping you have very little trouble. Thanks for posting and updating!

You should be OK as long as it's not showing symptoms of blown headgaskets I wouldn't worry too much. Mine had all the symptoms. But at 270k it probably should. I still have a list of things to get done, just really tight on money right now so not alot is gunna happen for awhile.

Edited by Andymccauley

This is what was all wired into rear taillight harness with some on/off switch as well

0zZTlm4i_o.jpg

Got alot done the last few days, modded the torque strut to bolt to the adapter plate. Cut it and threaded the rod to m10x1.25

YVAEUqNt_o.jpg

Started routing all the wiring, gunna have to extend some things but not much. After wrestling things in and out out the raintray holes a couple times, kinda got things to fit, the fuse box and ECU are going on the passenger side.

T2AmtORT_o.jpg

IPopWh25_o.jpg

71cNFteD_o.jpg

Bolted the header on, I'm missing a stud for some reason though. Got lost in the legacy disassembly.

c4KdQScg_o.jpg

Opened up the passenger side hole to fit the grommet in.

jczsPZJ7_o.jpg

RtV8mSas_o.jpg

Edited by Andymccauley