Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1981 Hatch DL 4WD EJ22 Swap

Thinking about getting this fuel pump, I know it's made in China... But it's the cheap, new cheap. So I'm debating it.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/New-High-Performance-Inline-Fuel-Pump-255LPH-For-Nissan-240SX-300ZX-SR20DET-350Z-/302357572710

Gunna hit pick n pull this weekend and try to rob a fuel feed hard-line out of a EA82. I guess I'll figure out how it might work with the DL tank after I get it.

If it doesn't I'm debating on getting some 1/4" efi hose and some 5/16" to 1/4" barb adapters and just using the stock lines

I went with the barb adapters and my stock hard lines. I thought about running a bigger line but then realized that no matter what you do, if you don't put bigger barbs on your tank it doesn't really matter how big your lines are further down the supply chain... at least that's my thinking about the matter. I haven't run it yet but hopefully it'll get enough fuel as I have it set up.

I went with the barb adapters and my stock hard lines. I thought about running a bigger line but then realized that no matter what you do, if you don't put bigger barbs on your tank it doesn't really matter how big your lines are further down the supply chain... at least that's my thinking about the matter. I haven't run it yet but hopefully it'll get enough fuel as I have it set up.

That was my thoughts as well but if a bigger hard-line can some how be attached to the tank without restriction it would flow better.

Well, I'm interested to know what you do. I think I read a post in some thread on here by a person who ran all the stock stuff for years and never had a problem... I do wanna build a surge tank eventually.

Well I've been wondering about that. So instead of wasting my time at pick n pull, and because the weather is crap lol. I ordered a barb adapter and some 1/4" efi hose. If it doesnt work that well, I only spent 15 bucks so not a big deal. I'll just have to find a hard-line then.

The stock lines work fine for a ej22E swap it would be a different story if you swapped in a ej257 with a fat turbo and huge injectors. I've ran my ej22 swap for a couple years with no problems without a surge tank.

in an 80 or 81 model??

the reason I ask is the lines are smaller in those first 2 years.

The stock lines work fine for a ej22E swap it would be a different story if you swapped in a ej257 with a fat turbo and huge injectors. I've ran my ej22 swap for a couple years with no problems without a surge tank.

What year?

I was big into the minitruck scene years ago, when the B2200 trucks are converted to EFI they have nearly the same size hardlines as this DL. So I figure it shouldn't really be an issue.

This awesome peice of machinery.

zlOYueU7_o.jpg

I ran into more than a few connectors that wouldn't reach with the cluster sitting where it should also the driver side front headlight wiring was a little too far away too. So I pulled all the wiring back out and ran it how I originally ran it but this time yarded the blower box out. Everything reaches now hopefully this is how it's going to sit for good for the most part anyway.

vnCWbmjp_o.jpg

4jg3NAtO_o.jpg

YjLJ6upW_o.jpg

Also put the plug wires in, put a oil filter and some oil in it too.

Are you swapping hte entire wiring harness into the DL?  Like headlights, tailights etc?  Way more work than needed to get a running EJ22.  But I guess that's one way to put a tachometer into a DL.  lol

Also, I see a fuel pump, regulator, and plastic filter up there in the spare tire well.  Please tell me that's not the pup your using?  That is a low pressure pump.  And that fiter is NOT meant to be pressurized to the 35+  psi that the correct type pump will run.

you need a pump from a SPFI or MPFI GL/loyale or equivalent type replacement.

Looks like a wire bomb went off, lol! I only laugh because I am sure I will be seeing the same thing soon. I got a Beck/Arnley pump off ebay for $60.00 new. Suppose to fit a Loyale so I hope I am good with it. Going to try and mount it were the factory pump sits. Only thing I am not sure on is the clutch, I installed a new clutch in my  my Brat about 75k ago. Guess I can decide to go with it are upgrade when I get there. Going to try and not be in a hurry. You seem to be coming right along!!

Are you swapping hte entire wiring harness into the DL? Like headlights, tailights etc? Way more work than needed to get a running EJ22. But I guess that's one way to put a tachometer into a DL. lol

Also, I see a fuel pump, regulator, and plastic filter up there in the spare tire well. Please tell me that's not the pup your using? That is a low pressure pump. And that fiter is NOT meant to be pressurized to the 35+ psi that the correct type pump will run.

you need a pump from a SPFI or MPFI GL/loyale or equivalent type replacement.

The original wiring in this thing was a mess, switches wired everywhere and random wires here and there. The dash is almost cracked in half too plus all the gauges will read correctly, ya I know it's alot of work, I've already done it in my rabbit when the ABA was swapped in but I feel like it's worth the extra effort. Just need to splice in lights, blower motor, wipers and ignition. Extend the fuel pump wires and brake light switch wires.

That is not the fuel pump I'm using lol. It was on the car when the Weber and ea81 were in it I just haven't removed it from the hardline yet. Don't worry, but good eye haha

Looks like a wire bomb went off, lol! I only laugh because I am sure I will be seeing the same thing soon. I got a Beck/Arnley pump off ebay for $60.00 new. Suppose to fit a Loyale so I hope I am good with it. Going to try and mount it were the factory pump sits. Only thing I am not sure on is the clutch, I installed a new clutch in my my Brat about 75k ago. Guess I can decide to go with it are upgrade when I get there. Going to try and not be in a hurry. You seem to be coming right along!!

Depends on which route your going, just using the engine harness I imagine doesn't require alot of wiring.

Where were you planning on mounting the fuel pump? I'm just gunna screw it into the frame rail near the gas tank.

• 1 month later...

In place of the orginal pump if I can get it to fit there. How are you coming along? I have hit a major snag!  This black car followed me home the end of October. My dream Subaru, 97 SVX LSI. My white donor car is in the picture to stay on topic. 

I will probably pull the motor, wiring harness and CPU the first of January. May wait until early spring to pull the EA81 out of the Brat. 

post-281-0-54166100-1511972722_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Please keep us up to date when you get going again. I am still driving the white Legacy back and forth to work. Almost hate to gut it. Pushing it back to Feb or first of March. I work at a ag chemical complex that devastates car finishes and windows. Figure it isn't going to hurt the Legacy and save my truck from some wear and tear.

Edited by bratman2

• 1 month later...

Been awhile since I've even touched this thing. But made some progress yesterday. Got spark n fuel, not sure if the injectors are firing or not, might be missing a ground somewhere in the harness.

So I changed all the fuel lines underneath and figured out where I want to mount the fuel pump. Gunna run wires to it from where the plug was on the EJ harness.

ScqWGRG9_o.jpg

ODFR149Z_o.jpg

Xf7Mdu7c_o.jpg

veG3wjcy_o.jpg

Edited by Andymccauley