Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i dont need a bigger throttle

jono

I just need to make it open a bit more. Picture to come later. Given how well my EA82 Mongrel goes with such limitations in place I wonder how much better it will go when throttle opens up wide!

Dunno how to get pics from phone to post

The mongral is a high comprestion engine yours is a ea82B a low compresion with narrow high flow intake it might drivable on gas but propain you just wont be able to get enuff air and gas in the motor to make power with out forced induction other wise there just wont be enuff volume of air available when the trottle opens up theres a reason subaru dident make the ea82 with multi point injection naturaly asperated i think they tryed it but ive never seen or herd of one but i have seen the specs on it and if i remeber the hp was higher and torque was lower i dont think it ever made it to production on the other side of the coin i bet the motor will last for ever that would be a awsome industrial motor for say like on oh i dont know a generator maybe i say add a turdbo and make it real

Oh ok and dont both of those modles have the single over drive gear set like the turbo modle in the tranmissions and i would think the 3.9:1 finnal drive gears to keep the motor spinning faster to make up for having less torque

Per 1988 FSM

EA82 SPFI = 90 horsepower at 5200 rpms........ and 101 ft/lbs torque at 2800 rpms 

XT MPFI non-turbo  97 horsepower at 5200 rpms......and 103 ft/lbs torque at 3200 rpms

and all XT 4 cyl got 3.7 gears.....taller, not shorter than the standard EA82.

worth noting that those factory MPFI have 9.5:1 compression, not 7.7 like the turbos or a neutered turbo with dished pistons....as could be Jonos case?

Thats right my memory isent what it used to be it just takes a higher rpm to get to the torque still not good in my book and could cause drivabuility issues with even less power whats the factory serv8ce manual say about the 4th and 5th gears for the xt4 and or gl-10 the double over drive in the gl/loyale would amplify the issue i would think

well, you are only talking a 400 RPM difference.  and I would bet that the MPFI still makes the same 101 Ft/lbs at 2800rpm as the SPFI......just keeps making a bit more up to 103 at 3200rpm

It get's a bit wonky with trans....4cyl, MPFI non-turbo XT got 3.7 final and just one OD gear (.871) in fifth.  Same as the 3.9 SPFI trans

Only turbos and XT6 got the double OD gears.....(.972 in 4th, .780 in 5th)  

Turbos in 3.7 final (some Single range, some Fulltime w/ difflock, and R/X with fulltime w/ difflock)   and XT6 in 3.9 (fulltime 4wd w/difflock)

Pictures speak a tousand words and I left it out

Story to this post is I discovered an error of mine.

I made a bracket for my LHD acc cable in my rhd ute. When I had to alter it I still forgot to check it did not interfere with throttle opening

I discovered it did, massively!

I could get a six mm drill bit between throttle body inside and the brass butterfly at max throttle. Six point five was too big.

A quick fix with hacksaw and caliper paint gave full throttle. Now this how I recall my mongrel

In aus we got lots of multi point injected ea82 in XT, in royals ea82 sedans and touring wagons all non turbo

My short is from an 87 touring wagon that I parted up with pristine 188,000 km. The heads are twin port turbo heads with longer stem exhaust valves. The inlet is from turbo coz needed to block off turbo coolant line below thermostat. It now runs impco 200 mixer and L converter and 22* btdc @800 rpm

My new saas tacho says idling at 1400 rpm.

It has this on cam like burst of energy at 6000 rpm. Heard from a guru ( Hi Greg) that hydraulics won't operate well above 6500 rpm, so starting to doubt new tacho when it tells me I hit 8000 rpm in second of five of my 87 touring wagon manual part time 4wd box whatever ratio it is on 175.70.13 tyres. Saw 80 kph at 8000 in second. I have an air filter box from aGM 3800cc v6 car and 2.75" induction tract

I dunno why ferp thinks it is an engine to suit industrial stationary purposes!!

post-11063-0-08020700-1505824300_thumb.jpg

post-11063-0-63646100-1505824326_thumb.jpg

Edited by jono

OK the thumbnails above taken with this non phone device...a pad? One shows where I marked throttle pull can with white corrector. The black bracket was wider away from body and white was stopping on it to give minimal throttle. Still ran quite well. Just acc pedal not hitting floor as they do in rhd....wheel well gets in the way

Ferp, I might have confused you at some stage when I asked how a low comp turbo 7.7:1 might run without its turbo. This engine is not that concept. It is about 9.0:1 running a fairly high octane propane of about 109 ozRON and is bloody impressive over any ea81 I have built and almost like my ea82T just not as punchy but no turbo lag either. Running ea82 y pipe to stands ea81 to tail pipe

Yes i am confused lol i would like more info on the engine ive worked on alot of industrial propain motors but never on a vehicle and im always interesed in performance mods on the ea82 seing as no one ever mods these motors im always looking for insperation my last ea82m build would run circles around the turbo model witch is the main reason my friend sold his gl10 even after a few upgrades i was still walking away from him lol and im doing it while running 30" tires even on 3 cylinders it would still pull its own wait and then some up a hill to my garage

Well mister, please share the things you did to your last ea82 natural aspiration build with us here. I have already shared mine being short block from carb 87 touring wagon, heads are from a turbo so has longer stem exhaust valves, oil feed and return blocked off.

Intake is mpfi twin port. Exhaust is ea82 efi y pipe then factory ea81 tiny stuff so is quiet. All the noise is from induction via Impco 200 mixer and box air box and panel filter. Impco throat is 2.75". Run 22 degrees timing @800 rpm. My fuel is about 109 RON. Highest pump fuel here is mostly 98. Some places have 100 and ethanol 85 is 107 RON

No flow work done to heads. Cams could be anything ...early turbo grind comes to mind.

Running 175.70.13 on H mags from RX. Tailshaft is out.

I started by porting and polishing the heads shortend the valve runners shaved the heads shaved the block custom longer intake manifold also ported runners changed from a swirl pattern to a tumble patter that gets the fuel /air mix to the cylinders better and more even upgraded the ignition ported the exhaust manifold and a bigger exhaust thats straiter than stock to get the air out more efficently removed all the intake restrictions and am running a true cold air intake sucking from the roof not the engine compartment or the fender i did a complete thread on the build with all the bs in it if you have any ideas on what i could do to get more out of it im listening but i think i have found the limits of the computer so anymore is gona require some creative fuel manegment and programing that i dont realy want to get in to other than that im open to anything

My major confustion comes in to play when you say mongral as i have always undertood that to mean a high compretion engine running 10:1 and up so i was thinking it was a mongralized turdbo you guys have stuff down there ive never seen befor so it interesting to here about how its done down under

I called mine a mongrel coz it is a mix of parts from different ea82 configs. The dizzy is a carb unit so with spring clips to retain cap, so not screw down dizzy cap of the injecteds. It is a 4WD carb dizzy from 87 model. It has what is described as the twin modules in it. You'd likely need a manual to get its advance details. I am running a tuning LED O2 reader and it says running lean but can't recall if this reader by Peel Instruments is the one I adjusted to reflect the tail pipe analyser