Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pretty self-explanatory title, I can't move the air flow from the mid/head level. I press the buttons and the lights change, but I don't hear anything inside and it stays where it is. Anything I can do easily to change this? I wanna be able to use my defrosters this winter.

I have done some research and heard some possible issues could be a vacuum leak, blown fuse or an issue with the blender door or mode actuator.

Dude_aru,

Check the fuses for the HVAC system (I suspect its not that, but first things first), and then zero in on the dash control unit.

Pull the center dash surround and remove the screws that hold the HVAC  control unit to the dash. Pull the unit clear of the dash and check the control unit as per the factory service manual page PDF file I've attached. If anything is out of spec, either take the control unit apart and clean its contacts for every switch with electrical contact cleaner spray, and see if you can't get it working again.

Either that or get a used one from a wrecking yard. Good Luck!

MSA5TCD97L3731.pdf

Dude_aru,

Check the fuses for the HVAC system (I suspect its not that, but first things first), and then zero in on the dash control unit.

Pull the center dash surround and remove the screws that hold the HVAC control unit to the dash. Pull the unit clear of the dash and check the control unit as per the factory service manual page PDF file I've attached. If anything is out of spec, either take the control unit apart and clean its contacts for every switch with electrical contact cleaner spray, and see if you can't get it working again.

Either that or get a used one from a wrecking yard. Good Luck!

MSA5TCD97L3731.pdf

Do you know what fuse it would be I can't seem to find it

Had the same problem with my 98 Outback. Just too much soft drink spills that worked its way into the climate control buttons. Usually, I could clean out the crud with windex, but after a while that did not work very well. I would push a button, and nothing would change. Replaced with unit from wrecking yard, and all is well, except that some of the button indicator lights don't work.

• Like 1