Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2015 Outback 2.5 engine - oil consumption

Don't forget Ford, and since they use Ford engines, Mazda too.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/#/topics/288128

There is nothing out there that they haven't gone to low tension rings. CAFE standards are to blame. Force the manufacturers to do things that really aren't possible without compromise.

It's either burn oil or go out of business from the legislation. So who's to blame for that?

It's not really something you can stick Subaru with the blame for. It's clearly industry wide.

GD

I'm glad I happened across this posting...

16' forester proudly owns me ???? I too have had what I thought as high oil consumption. My previous car was a 1999 Isuzu Rodeo so when I bought my forester I was maybe a bit naïve to think I was home safe from the quirks a vehicle can bring. I'm surly realizing I'd rather my foresters quirks over the rodeos any day; brand new and naive or not. One thing you were saying though I have to ask about...more oil consumption for better mileage but in my mind my MPG is terrible averaging at about 24mph.

16' forester proudly owns me ???? I too have had what I thought as high oil consumption. My previous car was a 1999 Isuzu Rodeo so when I bought my forester I was maybe a bit naïve to think I was home safe from the quirks a vehicle can bring. I'm surly realizing I'd rather my foresters quirks over the rodeos any day; brand new and naive or not. One thing you were saying though I have to ask about...more oil consumption for better mileage but in my mind my MPG is terrible averaging at about 24mph.

That sounds pretty bad.

But we have no information on your driving habit, location, etc.

Most of these FB25 that come into my shop, the fuel economy is around 27-31 mpg.

And the FB20 those customers are getting 29-36 mpg.

But then again. It varies heavily on driving habit.

My 09 forester (with the old EJ engine) i can get 27-28 mpg out of it if i drive like a grandma. But if i drive it the way id naturally want to, i average 23-24 mpg.

16' forester proudly owns me I too have had what I thought as high oil consumption. My previous car was a 1999 Isuzu Rodeo so when I bought my forester I was maybe a bit naïve to think I was home safe from the quirks a vehicle can bring. I'm surly realizing I'd rather my foresters quirks over the rodeos any day; brand new and naive or not. One thing you were saying though I have to ask about...more oil consumption for better mileage but in my mind my MPG is terrible averaging at about 24mph.

Gas mileage is totally dependant upon how you drive.  Short trips obviously have worse fuel economy.  I can get 30mpg highway from my 2003 Forester with an EJ20.

Edited by Mike104

MPG depends on driving habits and environment.

Idling (letting car warm, loading kids or gear)

Mountains, heavy loads, heavy foot

A high ground clearance, 4WD vehicle with roof bars is not going to be a gas mileage queen and Subaru has neve lead the pack in gas mileage. While newerw technology helps bump it up, they are still less forgiving with anything outside ideal conditions.

As a matter of principle then Toyota’s are ruled out:

http://www.toyotaproblems.com/trends/excessive-oil-consumption/

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/06/excessive-oil-consumption/index.htm

As are Honda’s:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/05/honda-accord-cr-v-warranties-extended-for-excess-oil-consumption/index.htm

As are Audi’s, BMWs....not that anyone caring about reliability should be buying those LOL

basically all the top manufacturers, and more, are now ruled out on principle.

Holly cow ! some folks got it worst than me ... wow....

I think i got rid of that Subaru just in time. All the excessive oil consumption seems to be the new "norm" with various manufacturers...not only Subaru. Probably getting me an older vehicle and bring it "up to code" may be the way to go. Definitely new vehicles are not the way to go...not any more, not now.