Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear Strut mounts --- Have you ever seen them go bad?

Yeah,

Just wondering..... I just got some nice strut mounts in the mail   KYB....

This would be a 98 Outback....

The mounts were near 100 bucks for the pair.......

Do they really go bad???????????????  

they look like just one piece of metal...........

Micky

Had this happen when i bought my 04 Baja.

Some shop replaced the rear struts and reused the original hats (250k miles on them)

When i drove it 3 hours home, all i heard was a clunking etc.

Did the rear struts and noticed the hat was basically in two pieces when i removed it.

Edited by golucky66

Ok, Thank you very much........

I will be using the new mounts I have ordered........

Best to not be "Penny wise  and Dollar FOOLISH"

Hate doing things twice.......

How about the best place for prices for  KYB   excel /  GR2  struts?????

Any suggestions....   I still have to purchase new fronts..... and new mounts for the front

Thanks, Micky

Ok, Thank you very much........

I will be using the new mounts I have ordered........

Best to not be "Penny wise  and Dollar FOOLISH"

Hate doing things twice.......

How about the best place for prices for  KYB   excel /  GR2  struts?????

Any suggestions....   I still have to purchase new fronts..... and new mounts for the front

Thanks, Micky

Amazon, Rock Auto or any of the other auto parts vendors online

they routinely last the life of the vehicle as well.  for every "mine failed" post you'll also hear dozens that have never failed.  i've only seen one rear rust to pieces.  other than that -dozens of subaru's, countless over 200,000 with original rear mounts.

that being said - it's generally complicated.  you don't know until you pull them what the condition is.  if you don't have the part you're stuck deciding when to do the work all over again or get a ride to the store etc.  you can have them on hand from a local store and return them if they're not needed . or just replace them. 

it's wise to just plan on replacing them, but it's by no means a necessity if someone doesn't mind assessing, planning ahead, and taking a rather small risk. 

Yeah this is true Ido...

I bet mine would have lasted the life of the car... They weren't rusted at all... and the were heavier gauge steel than the new KYB's.....

But, I said..... let's put the new ones in anyway.... I had some weird shaking going on.... So why find that I still have the shaking.....

I did keep the old one's you never know... Good to have spare parts......

SOOO,,,,, yeah....no more shaking over the bumps in the road.......... nice ride now..... not overly stiff but,  Sturdy........

Those old struts were sooooooooo   bad.... I have never seen struts  so shot...........

I am figuring that the excessive travel perhaps was causing all the shaking.........

Rear sway bar bushing(on the C looking part) could be replace.........   Has anyone  changed those out???????

THanks, Micky