Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rattling exhaust shields fix tip

jono

Sorry if anyone has been waiting for breast augmentation but I think I have slowed up the silicone supply by my attempts to qui ten that incessant and embarrassing rattle. Got underneath and started injection if silicon between the shields through holes already provided. I think half a cartridge fixed it. I broke one gun .

Might be a good safety tip there Dave, thanks. I used roof and gutter silicone. Previously ( and I mean over 30 years previously) I used glazing silicone on exhausts before the automotive industry seamed to have caught on. Yet to have any troubles

I tell you what though, the noise,vibration and harshness level has dropped significantly. Very pleased with the result so far.

Yes, the holes I filled would ideally be air cooling vents for the rattlers with seized nuts n bolts. Might not have used my noggin totally in the approach. I did see some pale smoke drift out while stopped at traffic lights after , but at least no flippin' rattle

Mmmm... Was general poroise silly stuff with a working range up to 150*C. Smell starting to disappear along with the curing smoke and the rettlehas not returned.Can't imagine how much ultra copper would cost by the cartridge!!

The curing smoke and smell is clearing up slowly. Pinching or bashing was thought of but I was in a lazy and creative mood. If they rattle again it might be a cut off wheel job. But this engine and exhaust is only temporary until I rehead my ea82t, fix my awd selector issue then this beast will be different again. Nearly thinking don't need turbo the way its going!!

For GL10 cross pipes that rattle, you remove the middle of three sections that occur on the engine right end of the cross pipe. Subaru does not make cross pipes anymore.  If the cross pipe has cracked at the turbo connection, about 3/4" down from the exit flange, you disassemble the heat shield around that connection, reweld the crack all around, and then reinstall the heat shield section.  Otherwise, that crack will leak and make a lot of noise if you don't fix it.

Spoke to silicon manufacturer today on another topic and raised this one. Not that he knew how hot the exhaust can get he recommended what I used , roof plumbing stuff. He did offer that an acetic cure type silicone would have a higher working temp but may react with the metals