Ultimate Subaru Message Board

there isn't going to be an easy solution. I dunno if sunglasses exist with circular polarization - if they do, may be worth a try.

the LCD panels may have a 45* angle of polarization as a compromise since most polarized sunglasses have a vertical poraization.

I suspect tilting your head one direction brightens the view while the other direction darkens it?

I have heard that quantum mechanics says that if you put a 45 degree (relative angle) polarizer between two crossed polarizers, some light will make it through.

Weird but true, maybe a little patch of angled polarizer somewhere between the gauges and your sunglasses (or on either) would work.

Sounds like there's a market for sunglasses polarized except for all the way at the bottom, too low to catch driving glare but just right to catch the gauges.

I hear pilots with glass cockpits can't wear polarized glasses at all.

• Like 1

I have heard that quantum mechanics says that if you put a 45 degree (relative angle) polarizer between two crossed polarizers, some light will make it through.

Weird but true, maybe a little patch of angled polarizer somewhere between the gauges and your sunglasses (or on either) would work.

Sounds like there's a market for sunglasses polarized except for all the way at the bottom, too low to catch driving glare but just right to catch the gauges.

I hear pilots with glass cockpits can't wear polarized glasses at all.

POLARIZATION. Polarized lenses are not recommended for use in the aviation environment

Polarized sunglasses are not recommended because of their possible interaction with displays or other materials in the cockpit environment

sunglasses.pdf

Edited by Mike104

Oh, man, I've seen that!

Usually looking at the sky away from the sun on a clear blue-sky day.

Always wondered what weird little bit of physiology caused it.

really- I've made a small atempt to try to see it.

I also wonder if folks that are good at orienting themselves/identifying compass directions (good 'sense of direction') can use this subconsciously ?

(I play a funtrivia.com game everyday and have submitted a few questions, a Haidinger's Brush ques. is one of my submissions)

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

another weird polarized light subject;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haidinger%27s_brush

that is so totally weird... I just tried it after reading the wiki article.. and tilting my head in opposite directions makes the "brush" rotate... 

tilting my head to the right, the yellow is horizontal... tilting to the left makes the yellow turn to almost vertical... :blink:

but yeah, polarized sunglasses and LCD displays do not play well together...

personally, i will take the non-glare advantages of the polarized glasses over reading time/temp/mpg readouts in the car, those are not that important to me while driving... speed, tach, & engine temp gauge are more important, and the gas gauge, LOL,

Edited by heartless

I love my polarized glasses.  They make weird rainbow patterns on plastic screens sometimes, but never really interferes with my ability to read gauges.

But I've got a 98 Forrester, and an 03 Outback so mostly all "analog" gauges.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

A good depiction of the weirdness in the quantum mechanical world...

Looking at explaining how photons move through a transparent surface is even weirder, particularly time delay (index of refraction).

The only way you can explain it is similar, you have to look at all the possible paths a single photon *could* take and analyze that.

I don't pretend to understand all of it, I was shown that phenomenon by a gemologist once, to help with orienting topaz for faceting (it has one cleavage plane that causes it to polarize light going thru it, very difficult to polish parallel with the cleavage plane so, we try to avoid it) but, I never thought to ask WHY it it get brighter.

as you say, how does light speed back up when it exits a diamond or other substance with high RI ?

head asplode