Ultimate Subaru Message Board

82 Brat: Front wheels wont engage.

I am looking to purchase an 82 Brat. Here is the issue it has: the front wheels do not engage. The car therefore cannot be driven in normal AWD, but the back wheels will engage when locked into 4WD. The owner says that he thinks it is something with the axle being worn out and not fitting into the hub, and purchased an axle to replace the worn one, but never got around to doing so. 

My concern is that the axle is not the problem. One source told me that I should assume it will need a new transmission. Looking around, I thought that it could also maybe be the front diff, or the transfer case. 

Any feedback would be great before I pull the trigger.

Thanks!

Sounds like either an axle issue, or more likely, a stripped hub.  Something is broken on one side, so because of the differential you get no drive to the other , non broken side.

If you can, have a helper sit in the car and try to drive forward in Front wheel drive.  Watch the large center axle nut in the middle of the front wheels.  You may have to remove hub caps or center caps if it has em.

If either axle is spinning in the hub you have a stripped hub.

If not, repeat the test and open the hood and watch the Inner CV cups to see if either is spinning.  If one is, that is a broken axle.

Edited by Gloyale

I am looking to purchase an 82 Brat. Here is the issue it has: the front wheels do not engage. The car therefore cannot be driven in normal AWD, but the back wheels will engage when locked into 4WD. The owner says that he thinks it is something with the axle being worn out and not fitting into the hub, and purchased an axle to replace the worn one, but never got around to doing so. 

My concern is that the axle is not the problem. One source told me that I should assume it will need a new transmission. Looking around, I thought that it could also maybe be the front diff, or the transfer case. 

Any feedback would be great before I pull the trigger.

Thanks!

My first instinct is a broken transmission. 

You mentioned AWD instead of 4WD is this the S/R automatic trans and Turbo 1.8?

When you drained the transmission fluid, did chunks of metal come out too?

Sounds like either an axle issue, or more likely, a stripped hub.  Something is broken on one side, so because of the differential you get no drive to the other , non broken side.

If you can, have a helper sit in the car and try to drive forward in Front wheel drive.  Watch the large center axle nut in the middle of the front wheels.  You may have to remove hub caps or center caps if it has em.

If either axle is spinning in the hub you have a stripped hub.

If not, repeat the test and open the hood and watch the Inner CV cups to see if either is spinning.  If one is, that is a broken axle.

Ok thank you, good to know the procedure if it is an axle issue. 

My first instinct is a broken transmission. 

You mentioned AWD instead of 4WD is this the S/R automatic trans and Turbo 1.8?

When you drained the transmission fluid, did chunks of metal come out too?

I am pretty sure it is a manual (  I haven't seen much of the car, but when I briefly talked to the owner he mentioned no turbo).

I have not drained the transmission bc I have not bought or done any work on the car yet. 

If you don't get the cone washer on right, or don't get enough torque on the axle nut it will work loose and strip the splines out of the hub. That is much more common than either broken transmissions or even outright broken axles. 

Good luck!

Dan

• Like 1

Thanks for all your replies. After discussing with the owner more, he is positive it is because one of the hubs is worn and the axle won't catch. Trying to find hubs for this car seems to be a little tricky. Can I be safe to assume that any Brat from 81-84 or any GL wagon from 80-84 will have the right hubs for this 82 brat?