Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Spinning Front Wheels

So Just did struts all around and wheels bearing up front. Upon getting ready to be finished I left the car on four jack stands and turned it on to make sure I didn't have any rubbing or weird noises come from the brakes or bearings. Problem is driver side wheel spun once I had it in first gear but passenger side did not. 

Is there a problem here? Should I be concerned?

Car is a 1993 Loyale 4WD with 191k miles.

Thanks

Not a problem. 

Test it:

You can do the same things with the engine OFF for safety. With the front off the ground, grab a hold of the Passenger front tire and spin it, and you'll notice the driver side wheel spinning the opposite direction.   It's the same for the rear wheels.

You don't have a solid Axle. What you do have is an internal tranny diff with no locker.

Sport guys that want both wheels to turn while one wheel is high off the ground will install diff lockers to make sure both wheels spin when the vehicle is highly articulated. It's nice when off road, but really hard to work with on city streets.

It's really frustrating when you want to move forward and all the engine power is going to the wheel that's OFF the ground. = your stuck.

Not a problem. 

Test it:

You can do the same things with the engine OFF for safety. With the front off the ground, grab a hold of the Passenger front tire and spin it, and you'll notice the driver side wheel spinning the opposite direction.   It's the same for the rear wheels.

You don't have a solid Axle. What you do have is an internal tranny diff with no locker.

Sport guys that want both wheels to turn while one wheel is high off the ground will install diff lockers to make sure both wheels spin when the vehicle is highly articulated. It's nice when off road, but really hard to work with on city streets.

It's really frustrating when you want to move forward and all the engine power is going to the wheel that's OFF the ground. = your stuck.

Thanks for the info!

Only thing is the passenger side is super hard to spin off the ground not sure why always has been almost like it was stuck or brakes seized up but even before I put the caliper on it was hard to turn. I did have a problem with the bearing getting stuck on the axle. I'm pretty sure its an after market axle as well because the driver side came off no problem.

Note car does not noticably pull one way or the other. Axle just wont spin with both wheels off the ground.