Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thinking of a Brat build

I am contemplating building a 1st gen Brat, but I have a very specific way I'd like to do it. I would want it to be RWD only, no 4WD. I don't think the RWD in and of itself is a problem, but what about the front drive axles? Can I assume I can just leave the front CV's out and figure a way to hold the front hubs together? Also, being involved in Datsuns, I know those guys like to swap R160 LSD's into the 510's. Is that the type that is in Brats? (probably not LSD though). Is there a bolt in upgrade (if it is needed) as I plan to put a fairly powerful (250ish) motor in it. Also, would a EA trans be able to survive the power, or would I be looking for a EJ trans? Kinda looking to see if this could be a relatively simple deal, or if major upgrades (read $$$$) are required. By the way, my GL coupe is running strong and turning heads.

Read this : www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/60514-rwd-conversion/

I wouldn't trust an EA box with 250hp. I'd think 150 would be about their limit (assume the highest rating of a factory model and add 30% for engineering factor). But I'm about to try a bored-and-stroked EJ20 running to 2.35L in a second gen Brumby (BRAT) with a MPFI EA82 box to test that theory (assuming I'm going to be around 170hp).