Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hill holder- help!

I am going to connect the hill holder on my car as my wife will be driving it and she needs some help on the steep hills here in northern Arizona. How do I up hook this bad boy up? I know cable from clutch for to holder mechanism and that's about it. Is there supposed to be a bracket to hold the cable from moving around? Is there supposed to be a spring to help the mechanism go back? Any pictures and any advice would be great.thanks in advance

• 10 months later...

just fixed a friend of mines hill-holder, his was frozen so every time he went to use his clutch it froze the brakes. bought a used one at pull and save and new brake rotors and calipers and pads and his gas milage went way up.

about 2 years ago on my 89 GL my hill holder actually failed on me in a weird way, sometimes when at an uphill, the hill holder wouldn't release after releasing the clutch pedal, ended up discontinuing it and just letting it live in the engine bay uselessly, was a cool little feature though i do have to say, reminds me of a Studebaker.

i know the cable comes from the front to the rear direction, opposite from a clutch cable on a fork, it's held in place by a U tab, like the one that holds the brake like on the front of an EA82 Strut, there's also a tiny almost impossible to find nut in the rear of it for adjustment, i do have a few examples in my possession if you want some really close up pictures of one?

Edited by Subasaurus

11 hours ago, wagons said:

Hey Subasaurus, I can definitely use some guidance, pictures anything to get this bad boy to work. Just getting around to my exedy clutch job so it's going to start being put back together here soon!

alright, ill post them up tonight or tomorrow morning.

love the exedy clutch, I put it on my impreza as a stage 1, abuse the hell out of it, and it's held up for over a year and still like new, longer than any other clutch i've ever had on there, and i've gone through a few already.

Don’t neglect the wire clips that hold he throw out bearing in place. And that adjustment you want to start with 1/8” gap. Some might say 1/4” but to me it’s 1/8” and life begins there for hill holder balance.

It sure can be a pain. And that tiny nut as well. Look for a diagram from an online manual if you can search one out.