Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Automatic seat belt issues

Hey guys so long time problem of the turd is that my auto belt on my driver side doesn't always open. It's like the button is stuck kinda like when my interior lights mess up and I gotta clean the door button a little. Well the switch doesn't go off the same button. So where is all that stuff for it?

Limit switches at both ends of the track and door switch are all involved.

The unit itself is in the passenger side rear quarter panel area...above the rear wheel wells in the interior of the unibody behind panel.

Whole system sucks in my opinion.

I usually disconnect the motor and leave the buckle in the locked position on the pillar, and just unbuckle the belt each time.

I actually like the motion of reaching down and then up/across shoulder to the buckle.  As opposed to flipping my arm up and over to reach behind to get belt, and then pull down like conventional.  That motion hurts my shoulder.

Yep - I "don't prefer" automatic seat belts. 

The 1992 Loyale has a deteriorating rubber border around that track and it's like a crumbly black tar if it get on my fingers that is tough to wash off. 

Mine seem to be working fine on the driver and passenger side, but EVERYONE that is unfamiliar with them and rides in the passenger front seat says something about them.

If I had to do it again, I would buy the SFI GL over the Loyale wagon. (that and the DR trans.) (and the speaker space in both rear door panels) (and the map lights) (and the moon roof)

• Like 1

Yep - I "don't prefer" automatic seat belts. 

The 1992 Loyale has a deteriorating rubber border around that track and it's like a crumbly black tar if it get on my fingers that is tough to wash off. 

Mine seem to be working fine on the driver and passenger side, but EVERYONE that is unfamiliar with them and rides in the passenger front seat says something about them.

If I had to do it again, I would buy the SFI GL over the Loyale wagon. (that and the DR trans.) (and the speaker space in both rear door panels) (and the map lights) (and the moon roof)

I have the map lights and the D/R sadly not the moon roof though lol. The loyale has the mounting spots for everything the gl has, including rear speaker spaces just no wiring.

I have the map lights and the D/R sadly not the moon roof though lol. The loyale has the mounting spots for everything the gl has, including rear speaker spaces just no wiring.

Yeah, Really only GL-10's got the full sliding moon/sunroof.

I did have an 85 GL with a pop-up/out sunroof form a VW that was pretty cool.

And my 84, ea81 4wd sedan has a pop-up factory sun-roof too.

Yeah, Really only GL-10's got the full sliding moon/sunroof.

I did have an 85 GL with a pop-up/out sunroof form a VW that was pretty cool.

And my 84, ea81 4wd sedan has a pop-up factory sun-roof too.

If I had the patience I'd track down a moon roof and fit it to the car. When camping I mainly sleep inside the hatch and it would be cool to be able to see up.

My Loyale has the speaker wires ready to rock installed in the rear doors, but no the space in the interior panel. So, I just cut them out. They still sound good. 

I also installed the map light housing running bright white LEDs and I fed it power from the center dome power source.  I'm told that the map-light wiring is in the A-Pillar  tucked down low, but I opted not to disassemble the interior to fish it out. It works great!

One thing about NOT having a moon roof, is that I have more interior room for my 6'1" frame. 

My Loyale has the speaker wires ready to rock installed in the rear doors, but no the space in the interior panel. So, I just cut them out. They still sound good.

I also installed the map light housing running bright white LEDs and I fed it power from the center dome power source. I'm told that the map-light wiring is in the A-Pillar tucked down low, but I opted not to disassemble the interior to fish it out. It works great!

One thing about NOT having a moon roof, is that I have more interior room for my 6'1" frame.

I never knew that about the map light wires, I did the same as you I cut the plug out of the junkyard car and just made the wiring and plugged it all in good as new

The door switch is actually integrated in the latch. Mine's been starting to act funny, like maybe the switch is coming apart. Can't make up it's mind where it wants to go sometimes. 

Have to look into that one of these days...

But yeah, the passengers (I don't have many, its the work truck always full of tools, etc.) always freak out over it. Mostly when they're trying to undo the belt before they get out, and I open the door and scare the hell out of them.  :grin:

But yeah, the passengers (I don't have many, its the work truck always full of tools, etc.) always freak out over it. Mostly when they're trying to undo the belt before they get out, and I open the door and scare the hell out of them. :grin:

Ha ha ha! It truly is funny though.. they get in close door put hand up by neck while they are talking then when the ride is over they start to panic as though confused somehow then simutaniously open door while flipping seat belt behind them following my lead-because that's what I have to do- lol! and get driven to the dashboard while trying to lift backpack off floorboard ha ha ha, and to make things even better I got the passenger in the backseat screaming let me out of the cop car!! And start flipping the door locks because they can't comprehend pull lever and crack the door.. ????

The door switch is actually integrated in the latch. Mine's been starting to act funny, like maybe the switch is coming apart. Can't make up it's mind where it wants to go sometimes.

Have to look into that one of these days...

But yeah, the passengers (I don't have many, its the work truck always full of tools, etc.) always freak out over it. Mostly when they're trying to undo the belt before they get out, and I open the door and scare the hell out of them. :grin:

I'm gonna look this week

I had a problem where the drivers side auto belt wouldn't reach its final destination, causing the motor near the backseat floor board to work overtime.  It killed the battery because it kept trying to move when the car was off, plus the motor started smelling burned up.  I took apart the trim, disconnected the motor and sensor, and manually pushed the shoulder belt clip in its position.  Now I just clip in and out when I get in the car.  I'd like to fix it ... someday ... or maybe I'll get a GL with a moonroof....

Edited by Tony Cortado