Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ej22 swapped fusible links problem

Hi all, i have an ej22 swapped loyale that has been running great for the past couple of months until now. I keep burning up the black fusible link. Thinking it has to do with the ej22 harness that i had trimmed. What can cause the black fusible link to burn up? Bad grounds? Shorted wires? any ideas where to check would be great. TiA

• 4 weeks later...

OK just replaced the alternator with one from oreillys and IM STILL BURNING MY FUSES, but only under load like when my headlights are on. Not quite burning but the black fusible link gets wayyy to hot. What does the black fusible link tied into. if I pull my charging fuse, the link doesn't fry. Alternator wiring wrong? i've had my swap for 6 months running perfect! Please help i'm so frustrated

I wish I could help, I just wired up my EJ swap. I'm not even sure what the 'black fusible link' is. I just have constant power direct from battery through a fuse to the ecu backup power and fuel pump/starter relay, switched power to my harness from the ign switch, crank setting to starter from ign switch and my alternator wired through the EA81 harness.

• Like 1

I wish I could help, I just wired up my EJ swap. I'm not even sure what the 'black fusible link' is. I just have constant power direct from battery through a fuse to the ecu backup power and fuel pump/starter relay, switched power to my harness from the ign switch, crank setting to starter from ign switch and my alternator wired through the EA81 harness.

i have my alt wired thru the original harness also. has to be something up with my charging system. on your ej swapped ea81 did you wire the big fat wire directly to the fuse link box?

Ej Alt is puttingout too much amprage for the old EA wiring.

Run a new wire, 10 or 8 gauge, from Alt output to battery terminal.  Use 1~2" section of 10 or 8 gauge fusible link wire at the battery end.

This will give the Alt charge proper rated path for amps to get to the battery.  Bypassing the OE fusible link and old wires.

A simpler but maybe less complete fix could be to simply cut back about 12" of the White charge wire, and spice in a new wire ther to the Alt output.  The old wire just can't handle hte Amps of the EJ alt.

Ej Alt is puttingout too much amprage for the old EA wiring.

Run a new wire, 10 or 8 gauge, from Alt output to battery terminal.  Use 1~2" section of 10 or 8 gauge fusible link wire at the battery end.

This will give the Alt charge proper rated path for amps to get to the battery.  Bypassing the OE fusible link and old wires.

A simpler but maybe less complete fix could be to simply cut back about 12" of the White charge wire, and spice in a new wire ther to the Alt output.  The old wire just can't handle hte Amps of the EJ alt.

That makes sense I thought it had to do something with the old wiring not being able to handle the load.. Will do that today. And is my alternator wired in correctly? obviously fat white main charge wire is getting bypassed to go to the battery with fusible link tied in.

yellow wire from alt plug to black/white on harness

black/white from alt plug to white/red on harness.

but reading online people have said on 95+ ej alternators you need only two wires which are the white/red for the charge lamp and the main charge wire.

My ej22 is out of a 1998 OBS and it's in my 1991 Loyale