Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2007 legacy transmission in 2004

Want to buy a legacy next week but it has an issue with the speedo.

The Po put in a 2007 transmission to replace a 2004 with a shot bearing and now the speedo doesn't work. It's my understanding that the 2007 uses a speed sensor in the abs where the 2004 uses one in transmission.

How do I get the speedo to work? Can I install the VSS from the 04 trans on 07 or can I throw and abs speed sensor and hook it to my 04 ecu?

• Like 1

Correct there is no way to do it with parts from the old trans - unless you want to swap the entire front differential and housing..... I have the Dakota unit in my Trans Am and while it works, it's highly susceptible to EMI and the Speedo likes to jump around like crazy when I'm stopped. Probably could fix it with some shielded com wire but yeah.... It's a cheap unit. The VssPro is much better. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Weird. I think I'll probably just get some shielded wire then! Thats $120 big ones for a seemingly small bit of hassle. 

My only question now is where am I getting speed signal from since the trans doesn't have it and neither do the ABS sensors?