Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Outback central locking blowing fuses

Hello all,

My 2005 Outback has begun blowing fuses when the central locking from the driver's door control. So...I understand the basics of tracing wiring faults but I'm not very good at it.

What are the likely culprits?

1) Worn door wiring harness from control, through rubber boot to inside kick panel?

2) ??

Other things to check? I am getting other wiring faults on this car, including in the rear hatch (affects the "open hatch" warning sign on the dash, not a big deal.

If it is the door wiring harness, how big a deal to change it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Jeff in Boston

Jeff ,  start at the rear hatch. That year group is known for broken /shorted wires, coming from the body to the hatch. The rubber tube connecting roof to hatch should be peeled back and wires inspected... hopefully you'll  find your short there.  

Edited by montana tom
  • Like 1

^^^^ good post

If it always blows the fuse now, you could raise the hatch and see if a fuse blows. If not, at least that would be conclusive for failing wire(s) in that boot.

(but, if a fuse still blows, it doesn't exonerate that boot - wire could be 'tack-welded' to ground somehow)

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

here's a link to a previous posting concerning broken wires in the boot on the passenger side of the rear gate with a picture of my broken wires. Once you pull the boot back tug on each of the 10 or so wires in the bundle and one may just easily evidence itself. i tried simple solder splicing once and it failed. Use a crimp last time and when that fails I will splice in a wire so that the repair is not right at the flex point.

• Like 2