Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4 corners of coil overs....Bilstein's too...

Ok...i might have a serious plan for a full coilover suspension for the EA82 chassis....the Gen3, the Leone's, the 85-94 'A' Chassis.....XT too. But NOT XT6...unless its the rear.

ive got 4 free and in good condition Carrera dampers....but, the more common Bilstein dampers are used on the same application. But I cant get those w/the perches and collars and locking rings....these Carreras were cast offs, to be replaced with the Bilsteins.....anyhow, the solution for the rear is pretty much a peice of cake....the front gets tricky.

The body is smaller than the stock strut....and the rod is also way smaller, so ive got to use some sort of spacer on the front to get things right....but, thats just the first idea. The front is going to wait until I get the rear figured out...since it should not take so long.

Pics to come as I get progress started....really, I am wondering how much interest I would have in this project...note that this will not work on the front for XT6, or 5 lug converted A chassis....but it will still work on the rear.

For the rears I've done the following:

KYB Gas Adjusts with the solid perches (brand new)

Generic Ricerboy Coilover kit (88-01 Civic)

The coilover kit is comprised of several pieces. The threaded sleeve, 2 locking perches, an upper perch, and stiff spring. Also came with a multitude of large o-rings.

Find the right size o-ring slide one down halfway, and one at the top of the shock tube. Now slide threaded sleeve down the shock tube till it rests on the fixed perch. There should be no play in the sleeve.

Now, thread the 2 locking perches onto the sleeve, probally about halfway. Place the supplied thin rubber donut on the top perch, and place the spring on it.

Assemble the top mount as you would a stock one, substitute the supplied upper perch for the stock one. Also place a thin rubber donut in between this and the spring.

Install, and adjust ride height.

I couldn't get the fronts of this kit to work with my impreza shocks... so i'm working on something else for that.

Who said AGX? KYB makes some rear just plain old gas shocks for the rear. Come in 2 flavors... Those for adjustable perches, and those for fixed perches.

I will most likely be getting some AGX's for the front of my car. They'll be for a GC era impreza.

Styles -

The aluminium sleeve wouldn't go over the shock tube on the strut. I banged and did everything I could think of... but they wouldn't go. Those front sleeves are beyond damaged now. Still have the springs though!

I think its just the brand... was contemplating getting another brand. Not sure which though.

I don't spose you could take some pics of your setup with your wheels off could ya?

I thought it was AGX cuz you said gas adjusts....lol.

Yes, id love so see Syles suspension naked! :eek:

Ive got some stuff from boxer4racing.com for my suspension for the wagon today...so I wont be doing any coilover work for a while.